Skidding on a Fixie: What am I doing wrong? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

macneill

Rollin’ on 33s
Threads
Got my weight forward, Locked in at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Still can't lock it up.

Gonna try again tomorrow on the way to work.

Try to put your stronger leg at 9 o'clock (rear), that's the important one. Sometime, clip or strap on the front would help... Someone suggested to try with lifting the rear, locking it up and putting it down... I personally believe it is too dangerous. (Ask me how I know). Don't go crazy with this. Safety first. Once you try enough stopping with weight forward, it will come to you naturely.

Don't be stupid, use brakes.

I've commuted on a fixed gear since 10 years before they were cool and not having brakes in a commute environment is idiotic.

Save the fancy moves for the track.

A lot of it depends on the bike and tires. My buddy had a fixie with really burly commuting tires and neither one of us could get it to skid unless we were on marbles or gravel somewhere. Make sure and throw your weight forward, it feels like you are going to fly over the front, which is not a good feeling. Keep trying though, I'm sure you will get it!

Keep in mind that when you do get it to skid you'll have little control of the rear wheel and the fish tail/ whip around can happen quickly-which is kind of embarrasing at the least.

I don't feel like dying in NYC traffic just yet, so I do have a front brake.

Just wanted to do what the cool kids are doing.

May go try on some grass.

Try 10 and 4, with the strong leg in the back. It takes some timing, but lift your weight up just as you lock up your legs to get the skid started.

I have a brake, but I've gone through four rear tires to my one front tire.

Ok first of all what gears are you running. Think logically a lower geared bike will be easier to skid then a higher geared bike. Before I switched my high gearing for a low gearing on my bike I had a hard time skidding. Also like stated previously what kind of tire are you running. But most importantly what kid of pedals are you running. I run spd clipless pedals and they make all the difference not only can I shift my weight forward, stop my rear foot, but I can also I can pull up on my front foot to initiate the skid. Actually I compromised some speed for stopping power by going with a smaller gear. Now to skid I put my weight forward and if I want to stop in a small distance I just skid with my weight still over the seat. This is only possible because of the middle range gear and the clipless pedals.

like some others have said, focus on lifting the pedal with your front foot rather than pushing down with your back. for me, it was an 'ah ha' moment when i stopped trying to force my back foot down to skid

Got my weight forward, Locked in at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Still can't lock it up.

Gonna try again tomorrow on the way to work.

come visit BMW..... PM me we can make a plan to get you skidding in no time at all

Joe

Yeah, no kidding. I never even knew you guys existed and you got that built 80... :idea:

I sense a skidathon in Billburg soon.

come visit BMW..... PM me we can make a plan to get you skidding in no time at all

Joe

you gota come buy one evening for that skid a thong PM me :beer:

Sorry to revive an old thread but i broke down and got myself a fixie. I figure i dig bikes and have been SS'ing for quite some time so why not try sumpin new. My first ride was yesterday and i too am having a hard time skidding. I currently ride a 49T front 17T in the rear. Should this gear be easier or harder for a fixie newb for skidding. Since everyone digs picks...here's my new ride. Bianchi pista w/ decals removed, 165mm FSA carbon pro cranks and Velocity deep v wheels on flip/flop formula track hubs (fixed/fixed).

(true hipsters...flame away).
pista.jpg

I ride 46-17 on the streets of NYC. I would say that is as tall a gear as you need with no brakes IMO.

Two tips I have for people when first learning to skid:

1.) Be forward. Far forward. Like nuts-to-the-stem forward.
2.) PULL UP with your forward leg. Pushing down with the back comes naturally, but if you're not utilizing your forward leg, you're wasting half your legpower.

Consider what handlebars you have. Bars that move your hand position forward, like bullhorns/flop&chops will make it easier to put your weight farther forward. If you have normal drop bars, putting your hands on the tops of the curve will move you forward. Track drops, you're kinda SOL. Flat/riser bars will feel the weirdest, so just concentrate on being nuts-to-the-stem forward and be careful, since controlling the bike with a setup like that will feel weird.

Make sure your straps are tight enough that you don't have lots of slop. If you have plastic clips, I recommend throwing them straight in the trash can and getting some nice steel clips.

Last edited:
I wanted to say thanks for all the advice so far. I've managed to learn the skip which has helped me out a little bit but I'm thinking my gear ratio (49/now 18) is makes it tougher to skid unless i'm going REALLY fast. Either that or i'm a super wuss.

Well at least my gear ratio gets me around town faster. Just have to pay a lot more attention to my surroundings :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom