Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about buying some belly armor with the money I've saved on gas in the last 8 weeks. I'm leaning towards the one from Iron pig, it's cheaper and I've seen some good reviews on it. I am running Slee sliders and front bumper and love them but hey wth. I'd appreciate any opinions, feedback, other suggestions or if anyone has one they want to get rid of lol.

Slee's belly plate

IPOR's skid plate

I'm thinking about buying some belly armor with the money I've saved on gas in the last 8 weeks. I'm leaning towards the one from Iron pig, it's cheaper and I've seen some good reviews on it. I am running Slee sliders and front bumper and love them but hey wth. I'd appreciate any opinions, feedback, other suggestions or if anyone has one they want to get rid of lol.

Slee's belly plate

IPOR's skid plate
Both look nice. I like the coverage of the slee plate, but I would bet that shipping would make it well over $100 more for the slee plate over the IPOR plate. I would go with IPOR. It is simple and effective, as long as it works with your sliders..

Big fan of the IPOR belly pan. Had it on both 80s. It withstands a lot of abuse, taunting and foul language. And I like to support Lance.
You can also now get replacement JIS mounting bolt hardware at McMaster.

Big fan of the IPOR belly pan. Had it on both 80s. It withstands a lot of abuse, taunting and foul language. And I like to support Lance.
You can also now get replacement JIS mounting bolt hardware at McMaster.
Yes, not to mention supporting a local-ish business and the potential savings on shipping if you pick up or have someone get it closer.

I just spoke with Iron Pig, and ordered a 40 skid that had been out of stock for months. These are currently en route.

The 80 skids are out of stock, but will be apparently be arriving shortly after the 40 skids. Person I spoke with, said they should hopefully have a better idea of the ETA by end of day today.

@BruceFZJ80 call IPOR tomorrow, and see when they will be available. We can hopefully get someone from CLCC to pick them up, or just get them both shipped to my shop.

I have the IPOR skid on my 80, and it's taken a beating with minimal complaining. I did have to trim a bit off of it due to interference with the Metal Tech sliders.

I have these and they have taken a beating. Great fitment as well. Small vendor out of Canada.

Personally I feel they are all under built for a 80. At least with out seeing one up close and installed.

My IPOR skid is pretty stout, although I did mange to bend part of it slightly.

Personally I feel they are all under built for a 80. At least with out seeing one up close and installed.
Not trying to be a dick here, but what’s the point of offering a critique of something if you’ve never used it or even seen it up close?

Isn’t that the same as critiquing a restaurant you’ve never been to?

“Yeah, portions were small and not how I would have cooked it but I’ve never ate there.”

Not trying to be a dick here, but what’s the point of offering a critique of something if you’ve never used it or even seen it up close?

Isn’t that the same as critiquing a restaurant you’ve never been to?

“Yeah, portions were small and not how I would have cooked it but I’ve never ate there.”
Not a dick at all. Totally fair point.

I guess I "feel" they look under built based on what I have in my mini truck and my personal experience in the welding and fabrication industry. Check out this trail gear cross member for example. Crossmember Kit its 3/8" plate and has bends front and rear and on the sides. Thickness isn't the only thing that influences strength. Bends and stiffeners welded to a cross member go a long way towards adding strength. The frame rails on a mini are more narrow then a 80 and it weighs at least 1,000 lbs less. That places more leverage on a 80 cross member holding much more drive train. The pictures I looked at of all the 80 cross members make it look like mostly a flat plate. The thickest one available is 3/8" thick. I have also watched more then one flex under the weight of a 80 when resting hard on the cross member.

Now after saying all that here is what I cant know. I don't know if there is a way to improve them or not. It might be all the better they can get without getting thicker. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing one made from 1/2" AR400.

Now some things to consider lots of people overland their 80's and don't rock crawl like I do. Light can be nice when every pound counts. All of them offer much more protection then stock. Armor is some of the best $ you can spend if you wheel your suv or truck.

I just spoke with Iron Pig, and ordered a 40 skid that had been out of stock for months. These are currently en route.

The 80 skids are out of stock, but will be apparently be arriving shortly after the 40 skids. Person I spoke with, said they should hopefully have a better idea of the ETA by end of day today.

@BruceFZJ80 call IPOR tomorrow, and see when they will be available. We can hopefully get someone from CLCC to pick them up, or just get them both shipped to my shop.

I have the IPOR skid on my 80, and it's taken a beating with minimal complaining. I did have to trim a bit off of it due to interference with the Metal Tech sliders.

I gave IPOR a call and they said they're about a month out and they'll call me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom