Sitting FJ40, help please! (noob) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I've got my hands on a '70 FJ40 with a chevy 350 V8 conversion & a 3 speed transmission. It's been sitting with no use for almost 2 years, but before it went out of service it was running great. The only thing that was removed was the battery.

I'm ready to go out and buy a battery and get it going, what maintenance do I need to do first so that I don't blow things up?

Thanks very much, I'm new to this as you can see and appreciate any advice!!! :D

It might be a good idea to get an oil pump primer (summit racing part #MOR-62200) and get the oil circulated and some pressure in the oil system before you crank it over. 2 years is quite awhile.

crank it over initially with the coil/hei unhooked so it won't start. Watch the oil pressure, make sure it rises.

Fluid check is a must prior, and I have a habit of changing fluids in a just-purchased vehicle, even if the PO sys it was done recently.

Excellent, thanks people!

Fluids to check/replace-
motor oil
coolant
fresh gas

What else?

I'd also have a look at: trans
transfer
both axles
After you get it home i'd probably change them also
don't forget the steering box also

If you experience some confusing symptoms that include smoking, rough idle, low manifold vacuum, and fouling, you may have varnish and gum deposits. For example, the more volatile components of the gas in the carburetor bowl will have evaporated leaving the heavier components to form varnish on your needle and seat. Oil may have sludged in the ring grooves causing blowby. The valve seals may have become stiff, allowing too much oil onto the guides. Lifters may be sticky so a valve doesn't cycle fully.

I had these problems and a few others with an engine that ran strong but wasn't started for 2 years. It runs fine now but I had some anxious days.

Also, gaskets and seals tend to dry up. You may have vacuum leaks in and around the carburetor and you may develop fluid leaks from hydraulic cylinders. These symptoms may not appear after just a couple of years, but you might keep them in mind.

This might seem obvious but I didn't notice anyone mention it specifically but you probably want to drain all the gas out first. &nbsp:Do it from the carburator to eliminate the old fuel in the lines. I would spray a little carb and choke cleaner in the carb at that point. Then, refill with fresh fuel and bleed it to get the air out of the fuel lines. Old gas just doesn't work well at all! Get ready for a lot of pumping and a lot of stalls but I bet it will come to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom