Silly Diff Stud Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caz

Keystone Cruisers
Threads
I tore my Tacoma E-locker rear axle apart today. When I took out the bolts for the diff all of the studs came out too. Not a big deal, and I am sure I can just re-use them without an issue, but it got me thinking...

A few vendors sell a "stud eliminator kit" which is simply a pan head bolt that screws in from the inside and a nut that goes on the outside.

diffstudkit.jpg

Why don't they just use bolts? Am I missing something? Seems like I could find a bolt the correct thread and length and just screw it in from the OUTSIDE.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I can't think of a reason not to. But you may wish to use a Allen head bolt for the bottom 2 since they will hit rocks. Now would be a good time to weld in the drain plug since your bolts will effectively do the same thing.

From my experience, after doing a few e-locker retrofits, the threads in the housing could strip out, this way with the bolt screwed through the inside with some loctite and then sliding the axle over and using a nut with lock washer in place, some piece of mind.

I have been meaning to go in and do this modification since my bottom studs have pulled out a little bit and I now have a leak...

Studs are typically used in high stress scenarios and actually have less chance of stripping out the threads in the housing than if you were using bolts. I have rebuilt motors and replaced the head bolts with studs when more clamping force was required. The bolts threading in from the back essentially do the same thing without the possibility of the stud coming out when you remove the nuts. Necessary mod? No. Beneficial? Depends. Certainly won't be any weaker then the stock set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom