Side Window Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Well, I got the side slider windows out fairly easy, just like the popular YouTube video explained.
This is not a rebuild, since the runs and Wx Strip were in great condition.

Question is, what is the best technique to get them back in??

They were removed pressing them from the outside to the inside with the help from the Harbor Freight plastic knives. So I tried pressing them from the inside out with little success.

If anyone that has done this successfully, guidance is most appreciated.

Rope Technique or Plastic Knife Technique??

Press from Inside to Outside OR Outside to Inside??

Start at the bottom or the top or corner??

Leave the Wx Strip on the Window Frame and have at it, or Put the Wx Strip on the vehicle and muscle the window frame in??

Keep the windows closed or Open the window & keep them towards the center??

Mil Gracias in advance.
Don

Last edited:
Are you talking SWB 70 and Prado?

They are different from Troopy, FRP top and 4-door 77/Prados.

Honestly, a SWB is really easy. They don't use butyl tape so the gaskets are not locked in by any kind of sealant. Open the slider, grab the window frame and gasket and pull, hard! Use your fingers to roll it up and out as you pull, once it starts it comes out fast and easy. Be ready so it doesn't come flying out.

To reinstall, I started by assembling the complete window frame, run and gasket first out of the truck. I then put this assembly up in the truck, forcing one corner in first, I picked the front lower to start. With the windows half open I could hold the assembly and climb up into the back of the truck at the same time. I then worked the gasket from where I started it at the front lower corner all the way around using plastic pry bars used for interior work. No problem, pretty easy if you take your time and work slowly to not damage any of the rubber.

The hard part of this job in a SWB is getting the gasket on the frame right. It has to be just right in terms of run to frame and gasket to frame for the windows to sit right. This is a patience job, nothing more but it needs to be just right before you put the assembly up into the truck. Check the FSM for better info.

The rope method as stated in the FSM I am sure works great but I think requires two people. I did it solo.

Cheers

@RMP&O , Ian, Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, this is SWB. Maybe since taking the sliders out was easy, I didn't think it would be as tedious getting them back in.

I'll try what you did, I'll start from the inside the cargo area and work the window outward; starting in forward lower corner and seat the bottom first, then work my way up with the window open.

Thanks again,
Don

@RMP&O , Ian, Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, this is SWB. Maybe since taking the sliders out was easy, I didn't think it would be as tedious getting them back in.

I'll try what you did, I'll start from the inside the cargo area and work the window outward; starting in forward lower corner and seat the bottom first, then work my way up with the window open.

Thanks again,
Don

I think the rope method is faster.

It didn’t take to long with plastic tools. Half an hour to an hour per assembly to install in the truck.

Cheers

Well serious confession, I am on the computer way too much googling away for answers. Too busy searching Forums and YouTube to find solutions instead of getting up off my butt and walking over to the book shelf to find the Toyota answer. Here are the two pages from the Repair Manual on the Side Window Installation for those who don't have the manual. I'll time it, and see how long it takes. Thanks again, Ian!

651CCF71-DE27-489E-B073-5A3A0989966B.jpeg

4EDDE2FF-03E4-4912-A3BA-F940698F3555.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, a couple of lessons learned on this job. First, look in the manual if you own one when you are stumped prior to google. And as @RMP&O said, it can be a real pain to get the seals seated properly around the window. Thanks for mentioning that again, Ian!!

After re-inspection, I didn't have a good seal in most of the corners of the gasket/seal with the stainless metal frame. At first glance it looks ok, but double check to make sure you have the lip around the stainless edge. It took about an hour per window to seat the frame in the gasket properly. It may have went faster if it had occurred to me to open the windows to get a better angle with the plastic trim tool. Hitting the seam at a 135 degree angle is so much easier than at a 90 degree angle.

If you don't already own a Yellow Plastic Trim Tool Set from HF, invest in one or you will grind your fingers to the bone pulling on this seal to get it to seat. My fingers hurt and I had the tool. Couldn't imagine doing it without one.

Unless you really can't wait, call the neighbor or get the wife to press & hold the window from outside the vehicle while doing the rope method from inside. After 2 hours of seating the seals, the install takes literally 2 minutes per window with the Rope Method described in the Toyota Manual.

I used 100% car wash soap on the gasket/seal and then wet the rope/close line and put that around the seal. No real reason to soak everything. Toyota did a great job of designing that seal. Mine is 29 years old and didn't it tear. Pretty impressive.

Also, if you are like me and clean the seals one week and set them off to the side for another week or two, the seals are marked (L) & (R) in each corner. No need to match them up to the window to see which is which. Another area where I wasted some time.

Here are some pics:

DEF30922-7F04-481E-A5AE-2A09C7300897.jpeg

58E8A391-ADC8-44DF-A920-1C312C38CB5D.jpeg

77AAA00C-4F0B-44EE-BB79-D495AE5F2F8A.jpeg

7258F076-5815-4E7A-8E3C-610407F7EFA7.jpeg

8E288CCD-E4E9-4C9D-B716-3909C6026D1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice Job Don.
No question , window seals will wear those fingers out if they have to be worked in a piece at a time.

So jealous of all that sun. I have been tinkering with my winch bumper today and it's just miserable out up here.

Yeah, this is really the best time of the year here. Great for working outside. Definitely would have had more cracked fingers doing this in the cold. Thanks again for talking me out of the window tint. Too many micro scratches on these windows for it to turn out right.

Post pics of the winch when you get her finished!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom