side hill sensing stuts!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow, that is actually really cool. I wonder how one would apply this to an 80?

ORI Struts

My website stats caught my attention that a few of you are visiting my ORI Struts website. I checked with the administrator (Woody) for permission to answer questions--I can do so short of advertising. I will answer any questions you have as best I can. If you ask for comparisons to competitors' products I will only praise them. I have a lot of respect for my competitors--we all come from the same mold and are in this business because we love it!

As for seeing the struts in action, I drive my daily TJ on them, and I have rock crawled on them in Georgia, Arizona and Utah. I attend Super Crawl each year to support my sponsor buggies. Result: no Super Crawl wins yet, but we have had a few top finishes in other events.

oristruts said:
My website stats caught my attention that a few of you are visiting my ORI Struts website. I checked with the administrator (Woody) for permission to answer questions--I can do so short of advertising. I will answer any questions you have as best I can. If you ask for comparisons to competitors' products I will only praise them. I have a lot of respect for my competitors--we all come from the same mold and are in this business because we love it!

As for seeing the struts in action, I drive my daily TJ on them, and I have rock crawled on them in Georgia, Arizona and Utah. I attend Super Crawl each year to support my sponsor buggies. Result: no Super Crawl wins yet, but we have had a few top finishes in other events.

Wow!!! Super cool product and super cool attitude, I wish everyone with a product to push was so wise!!!

Hey BTW, do you make battery isolators? An inside joke, sorry!

Again, super super cool!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

interesting.
had a look but couldn't see how the "sensing" takes place to adjust for hill inclination

e9999 said:
interesting.
had a look but couldn't see how the "sensing" takes place to adjust for hill inclination

Hill sensing is by a pendulum-weighted cam that controls a pilot valve, which in turn controls a high-flow spool valve--completely mechanical, and patented. The pneumatic logic opens and closes gas passage between the main and outer cylinders, changing the available piston compressible volumes to make possible hard and soft spring rates. The website cutaway view shows the insides but intentionally leaves out detail to discourage foreign pirates.

turbocruiser said:
Hey BTW, do you make battery isolators? An inside joke, sorry!

:popcorn:

(Insert another thumbs up icon here)

-B-

I know Troy Meyers ran the Ori's on his comp buggy for a short time....he overall liked them, but had some issue with them "releasing" after they were compressed quickly. Something about the Ori's being fully compressed, coming off an obstacle, and then not extending to "catch" vehicle as it came over.

Was that an issue with the comp buggy setup, or did a chance in the design cure that issue?

(or is he like me, where unique things seem to crop up...lol)

woody said:
I know Troy Meyers ran the Ori's on his comp buggy for a short time....he overall liked them, but had some issue with them "releasing" after they were compressed quickly. Something about the Ori's being fully compressed, coming off an obstacle, and then not extending to "catch" vehicle as it came over.

Was that an issue with the comp buggy setup, or did a chance in the design cure that issue?

(or is he like me, where unique things seem to crop up...lol)
Yes, Troy had trouble, as did others. He bought the early design to which I later made some upgrades that didn't really fix the problems he was having. I watched the right rear strut push him into a rollover at Super Crawl as he descended from an obstacle. It made me sick to see him get bumped from third to eight place.

I have since changed the hill sensing to be more reliable, and the design now has a dual-pressure piston that prevents push-off. I also redesigned the rebound damping, and I am currently improving compression damping to satisfy the monster truck crowd. I'll admit, it has been a tough challenge to make these struts react properly to all conditions. Maybe someday I will win Troy back.

I noticed on your website they are on a Ram pu and the TJ. Can you give your opinion on how applicable (if at all) on the 80 series Land Cruisers?

How are the smaller struts (black housing) in comparison to the 'smart strut'? Again, in applications related to offroading a wagon (80series).
Thanks

FirstToy said:
I noticed on your website they are on a Ram pu and the TJ. Can you give your opinion on how applicable (if at all) on the 80 series Land Cruisers?

How are the smaller struts (black housing) in comparison to the 'smart strut'? Again, in applications related to offroading a wagon (80series).
Thanks
The Ram pu has the leaf springs in place; the struts are a supplement. The TJ currently runs only the struts in the front @ 230 psi with 4.0 L six. I have a customer that successfully mounted four DP3s to a full size Bronco--no other suspension support, although I do not recommend such heavy applications.

The smaller struts (ST model) do not have hill sensing. The DP3 is 4" Dia. and the ST is 3.25" Dia. and 5 lbs lighter. Otherwise, they are the same and will support the same weight. I do not have any mounted to an 80, but my dealer in Phoenix is getting ready to mount four ST struts to a Land Rover. For a heavy vehicle you would have to use an anti-sway bar, and definitely for highway use. Some of the lighter rock buggies run the struts without any anti-sway bars.

Interesting product. Thanks for sharing with us. I also appreciate your great attitude.

If/when i'm in the market i will surely look your way.

ORIS,
Good design on the dampers. Your product is a far cry from TT and Monotube designs or even self leveling dampers seem simple now.

Very interesting product and you have a great attitude as a business man.

So on a lighter vehicle such as a stock TJ you can run these shocks alone?? That is pretty trick if so.

That Ram kills me though, he spent a ton of money on a nice set of shocks and then put 8" blocks under stock leaf springs for his rear lift...I don't even think I want to ask but did he use just a huge spacer for the front lift with the stock coils?

Critter said:
. . . So on a lighter vehicle such as a stock TJ you can run these shocks alone?? That is pretty trick if so.

That Ram kills me though, he spent a ton of money on a nice set of shocks and then put 8" blocks under stock leaf springs for his rear lift...I don't even think I want to ask but did he use just a huge spacer for the front lift with the stock coils?
I get a lot of comments about the Ram. The blocks do stand out, but blocks are a very popular cheap lift in some groups.

ORI struts will support a stock TJ just fine without having to use a lot of pressure. You must still use the sway bars for highway use. I disconnect the front sway bar on my TJ for crawling, and I advise to keep a light sway bar in the rear. Some go without both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom