Side curtains airbag activated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, need some suggestions. Side curtain airbags are activated in my lc100 2004 in a desert driving trip. Vehicle doesn't hit anything however I guess when I was driving on a sand ridge sensor assumed my vehicle is going to roll over and side curtains are activated. Should I fix this with new curtains or just remove side curtains and continue driving? Thanks.

I don't know how applicable this is outside the US market, or if your airbag deployment was related to this, but it might be worth looking into:

NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V065000​
Manufacturer Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing​
Components AIR BAGS​
Potential Number of Units Affected 320,409​
Summary
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2003-2006 Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470, 2005-2006 Toyota Tundra and Sequoia, 2004-2006 Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX470 vehicles equipped with side curtain-shield-air bags. The affected vehicles have an air bag control module that may be improperly programmed, causing the side curtain-shield-air bags to deploy inadvertently.​
Remedy
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag control module with one that has improved programming, free of charge. The recall began on December 1, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-271-9371. Toyota's number for this recall is G0C and GLB.​
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.​

Last edited:
I don't know how applicable this is outside the US market, or if your airbag deployment was related to this, but it might be worth looking into:

NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V065000​
Manufacturer Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing​
Components AIR BAGS​
Potential Number of Units Affected 320,409​
Summary
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2003-2006 Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470, 2005-2006 Toyota Tundra and Sequoia, 2004-2006 Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX470 vehicles equipped with side curtain-shield-air bags. The affected vehicles have an air bag control module that may be improperly programmed, causing the side curtain-shield-air bags to deploy inadvertently.​
Remedy
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag control module with one that has improved programming, free of charge. The recall began on December 1, 2016. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-271-9371. Toyota's number for this recall is G0C and GLB.​
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.​

Thanks for your reply.

I came to know about this recall yesterday only. My vehicle is US Specs and i have imported this vehicle from US to UAE only couple of months back. I dont think this is an option for me.

I still have front airbags however i am just confused whether i should fix side curtains or just remove side curtains and depend only on front airbags.

One quick question, does all trims of 100 series are equipped with side curtains or only it is available in higher trims?

My understanding is Toyota/Lexus go be the serial number. My 05 LX470 has a recall for the side airbags. I'm having mine replaced next week. The dealer, Sewell Lexus in Dallas, even throws in a free loaner car. #Sewellservicerocks

I think would be worth a call to dealer, Lexus, and maybe even insurance. I've seen side airbags deploy from hitting / kicking up stuff in the road.

I think would be worth a call to dealer, Lexus, and maybe even insurance. I've seen side airbags deploy from hitting / kicking up stuff in the road.

My vehicle is US Specs however it is imported from US to UAE only recently. I dont think this is an option for me. That means if it needs to be fixed it will be from my own pocket.

I still have front airbags however i am just confused whether i should fix side curtains or just remove side curtains and depend only on front airbags.

One quick question, does all trims of 100 series are equipped with side curtains or only it is available in higher trims?
Curtain airbags are standard on all US trim levels 2004+. The replacement curtain airbag is quite expensive new but can be had really cheap when purchased from a parts car ($100). Personally, I'd replace it. And from now on, push the RSCA (Roll Sensing Curtain Airbag) off button when desert driving.

Just got future reference, push the rsca button on the left of the steering wheel whenever you go off-road. It disables the curtain airbags.

Sorry this happened to you.

Is this 100 series a daily driver, or a play toy for the dunes?

I'd probably lean towards replacing/repairing, but I'd also be extremely cautious about the install of "explosive devices" that are installed near my head.

I bought this vehicle only for offroading purpose however after driving this vehicle I started liking it so much that it has become a daily drive now. I am thinking even though if I replace curtains still these ppl here in local garage are not going to reprogram the sensor systems as they are not simply that competent. It looks like I should simply remove curtains and rely on front airbags only. I see a lot of vehicle here are without curtains airbags including fj cruisers and jeep wranglers.

That must have been some angle. I have had my 2004 100 leaning on trees and no side curtain airbags. Maybe speed plus angle. I was moving really slow.

Hi Everyone, I have got some information here. The new side curtains including fixing will cost me approx. USD 4000 hence i am not going to fix this. However, i have one important question, my airbag light is ON now in this case (if needed) my front airbags will be deployed or not?

There are places in the US that will reprogram/reset airbag modules inexpensively, I'd imagine there is something similar there.
You could also shop the classifieds or eBay for replacement bags, also less expensive. May not be ideal, but I'd say better than knowingly removing altogether.

Edit:
These guys are local to me and a friend uses them, albeit not lc/lx specific. $49

Last edited:
I had this recall done about a month ago and encourage every owner to have done immediately and before you go to hundreds in the hills

Your Airbag ECU only ever makes one decision. Once decision is made it must be replaced. However it needs to see a signal from all airbags. So unfortunately in the event of a frontal collision your airbags will not deploy.

Your Airbag ECU only ever makes one decision. Once decision is made it must be replaced. However it needs to see a signal from all airbags. So unfortunately in the event of a frontal collision your airbags will not deploy.
I recently saw a video where a Lexus GX driver was slowly wheeling off camber and one of the side airbags deployed. Then a few seconds later, when the vehicle pitched to the other side the other side airbag deployed. This implies the ECU continues to monitor after the first deployment. I will link to the video if I can find it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom