Side cover gasket replaced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i dont really have the time to do this myself and was quoted $350 by a local shop to replace it. Does this sound reasonable, or should I look around.

just about to do this myself....getting the gasket from Cdan.

It's tricky, if you have AC, the Alt and AC compressor brackets have to come off and the dizzy cap has to come off (at least - may need to remove and restab the dizzy, haven't looked closely) there are hard coolant lines that need to be out of the way...PCV lines in the way...a lot of hard to get to surface prep to do....

$350 would be a correct quote to do it properly, I would think. Will they do it that carefully? I don't know...

Did it about a month ago. It's NOT hard it just takes some time. I would say it took 2 hours total. MEK is your friend use it and you will be fine. I wouldn't spend $350 myself but I had a few hours to kill.

MEK? wuzzat?

If you use MEK, don't breathe while using it...

$350 would be a fair charge if it was done right.

BTW, if you can't find MEK (DO NOT buy the substitute) 10 parts diesel and one part tranny fluid works great to degrease an engine. A pressure washer is your friend here too.

Just did this job today. I tried to get away with just the dizzy cap, but the whole thing had to come out. At least on my fj60 there was no way to avoid it. Just couldn't get the side cover out any other way. I was able to leave the coolant lines and just pull them out of the way. There was enough play.

PITA job, but worth saving the $350 if you have the time.

just about to do this myself....getting the gasket from Cdan.

It's tricky, if you have AC, the Alt and AC compressor brackets have to come off and the dizzy cap has to come off (at least - may need to remove and restab the dizzy, haven't looked closely) there are hard coolant lines that need to be out of the way...PCV lines in the way...a lot of hard to get to surface prep to do....

$350 would be a correct quote to do it properly, I would think. Will they do it that carefully? I don't know...

x2, I had to pull the dizzy and leave the coolant lines when I did my 62. It is not fun but not too difficult.

Just did this job today. I tried to get away with just the dizzy cap, but the whole thing had to come out. At least on my fj60 there was no way to avoid it. Just couldn't get the side cover out any other way. I was able to leave the coolant lines and just pull them out of the way. There was enough play.

PITA job, but worth saving the $350 if you have the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom