show me your axe... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is awesome. Not sure about having to use ladder to get some firewood. Looks cool though.

That is awesome. Not sure about having to use ladder to get some firewood. Looks cool though.
I should make it a bar and call it the chopping block :rofl:
My wife and friends think I’m crazy too but I love it.

Last edited:
you have contact info? Id be happy to blow these up for him.
Liam Hoffman. He has a multi-year wait list at the moment and stopped taking orders for a while, I think he recently started taking orders again. It took me 2.5 years to get my saddle axe. Almost as long of a wait as the Northman axes out of Latvia.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
I poked around the website. Looks like he opens the window for ordering on Monday's or something. If you're lucky and fast you get to reserve an axe that you'll get in X years. I'd love to have one.

I picked up a truckload of Rocky Mtn. Juniper off a Ranch we elk hunt on in Central Oregon.
FE253179-189B-44E0-9D9F-8FA34E27984F.jpeg

I cut a lot of firewood species, I love it’s smell. Very aromatic, even when it’s burning the smoke smells amazing. Western Red Cedar and Incense Cedar also smell good.
DEEF55FD-CBEC-4961-9290-98133EBC5D97.jpeg

Too bad you can scratch and sniff the screen. :rofl:

My OCD is so satisfied by looking at those pictures. If i stacked firewood as such, i'd never remove it. lmao
The right side of the wall with the man door is my Rocky Mtn Juniper side. I’ve had it for about 8 years now. Got it from a Ranch we deer hunted on. It’s the perfect wood for backyard fires. The smoke smells good, crackles and pops, very good firewood. I just got another load from the Ranch we elk hunt on a couple weeks ago.
The left side about 4’ to the floor has some Doug Fir from the wife’s family’s property. Cut an old growth tree, 5’ base that was leaning over their bridge across the creek. We cut and fell that tree over 10 years ago. I guess some wood I have stored has memories I don’t want to burn.
The side above my wood splitter is my winters starting supply, I always start there and then go to the DougFir and last would be Juniper. Now that I elk hunt on another ranch I hope to have more juniper each year.
Call me crazy... it’s taken my wife years to understand my wife wood OCD... I don’t even think I understand it.🤣

so are you by the looks of things. that a lot of wood!! do you heat your house or shop with it?
I heat only the house. I haven’t put a wood stove in the shop... yet. My friends and family think I’m crazy... maybe a little :rofl:

Figured I should add my collection.

Pictured are my three Huskys, an American Temper, a Plumb Victory, a Straux, and some heads I'm in the process of rehandling.

I bought the Huskys and the Plumb Victory. The rest I rehung as heads that were passed down from the family. The hammers are also rehung. I used American Hickory for everything I hung. The Plumb Victory was hung with Ash heart wood.

What I take out with me varies based on the trip but the hatchet and the splitting maul almost always make the trip.

20200125_220553.jpg

20200125_220618.jpg

20200125_220640.jpg

20200125_220710.jpg

20200125_220828.jpg

I tried this on a handle and it got pretty sticky, not drying out. how did you avoid this when applying it daily?

The handle has to be free of any varnish or wax that would seal the pores from soaking up the oil. Most handles come from the factory coated with varnish so if you haven't stripped that, that very well be why it isn't absorbing on your's.

Any thoughts from you all on using a straight handle for a hatchet (think of the handle on a small sledge hammer). I found an old Marshall Wells head (2.5 pounds) that I am restoring and was thinking of maybe a 24" handle for a camp axe, but I also have a vintage NOS Suquatchie Indian fire mallet handle I could use. The mallet handle would result in about a 17" overall length.
Just curious.

Cold Steel Hudson's Bay Camp Ax=nice balance and big enuff to work. I have a splitting maul at home but I never use it!

Cold-Steel-Hudson-Bay-Camp-Axe-90QB-BHQ-106726-jr-side-large.jpg

Last edited:
Wetterlings Les Stroud is what I keep in the cruiser and is my favorite axe that I own.
This is a picture from my bushcamp back in the Midwest.
View attachment 3127475

04190BC1-4680-425F-9FFF-DD84D1F32731.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom