should it stay or should it go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tank, that's inspired!
After I play the forum a bit longer and buy y'alls used junk Psycho is going to become self-aware and junk-sell ME.

Matt I am busy counting my blessings right now. Good story. I already felt like I was whining a little but your story clinched it. I talked to a restoration body shop today and I think I'm going to scrape off the undercoating in the wheel well and get a good clear look at the problem from below.

Semlin,
the best thing you can do is get dirty. get a heat gun and a stiff paint/gasket scraper and go to town under there. once you have eliminated the layers of spray on undercoating in the wheel house you should be able to figure out where the leak is coming from and pound the metal or weld it back to close to its original form.
as far as the rust inside the 1/4 panel hit that stuff hard and fast. once you get the bottom cleaned up take the aformentioned heat gun and strip off the seam sealer on the inside. at that point you should be able to see where your leak is coming from and correct the problem. grind all of the rust off the interior and seal it up with some good self ethcing primer or even better a marine grade product(por 15) to seal the whole thing up.
as far as stay or go I think it has been said before that every vehicle you buy new or used is going to have some problems with it. Hell my 92 has the infamous rattling cats and the PO dumped stop leak in the power steering box. The good thing is I know what my problems are and have plans to fix them. I have thought of starting over with another cruiser(93-94 with locking diffs) but I know my rig. I know how it acts and I know if anything has changed or is acting up. That is worth a lot of money to a guy who does all of his own wrenching.
Dave :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom