Should I change the timing belt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

corleykj

Jack of some, definately master of none.
Threads
The title should say..SHOULD I CHANGE THE TIMING BELT (cant figure out how to edit it). Just picked up a 99 uzj100 for $10,000 with 170k. Is what sold me was a one owner with no mods and garaged.
I am buying from the dealer where it was traded in.

I called my Toyota dealer with the vin, they told me the service record verbally. This included Toyota dealer service from new till 30k miles. Then from 120-170k at the dealer. From 120k-170k miles it had everything that was recommended done, fluids and filter wise. The differential had a leak, they fixed the leak then the diff went. And they replaced it. Replaced the antenna motor. They repacked the front wheel bearings (?). They did new cv boots.

But.....DID THEY DO THE TIMING BELT before the 120k mile switch back to a Toyota deer that records it?

Should I do the timing belt and water pump on this 100? Estimate came in at $1,000 where I had my Tacoma belt done a few months ago.

OR SHOILD I RISK IT AND DO thefun stuff like SUSPENSION WITH NEW 285 tires?
Thanks for your time.
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Your call, but very advisable to do the timing belt with the water pump. This has been discussed previously. The mechanic will be in there already so no additional labor cost, just the cost of the water pump. But I'm questioning the $1000 price tag. I'm actually due for mine and I'm waiting for the mechanic to call me with cost, but the last time I did it, I think it was half of that, if not, even less than half of what you're being quoted.

In most cases there should be a sticker placed under the hood indicating the date and mileage the timing belt was changed. Have you checked to see if it's there?

I would bet they did do the belt, I would look at the belt and see if it looks good. I would most likely wait another 20 k miles then do it. I would replace the water pump while in there , as that might have not been done and is worth doing it while your in there. Sounds like you got a good deal. I should hit 200k this summer !!

Yep, look for the sticker under the hood, it will tell you the date and mileage that it was changed...if it was changed by a Toyota tech, even a non dealer one. If that belt lets loose then you will be wishing you had changed it.

Should be a sticker, but judging by all the other things done, don't see why it wouldn't have been completed. Could you contact the previous owner? I'm sure they'd remember chucking out that kind of cash for some work on his truck, not just something you usually forget... If it was completed, you should be good for a while. I mean when it comes down to it, how many people out of the many that wait to change their timing belts actually have theirs break? And wait as in, wait 20k miles or so, not 200k miles haha

Coveboy- my co-worker actually went 180+k miles on his 03 Sequoia before changing his original timing belt. If I didn't see it and the mechanic confirm it, I would've never believed it! Out of pure ignorance, he didn't know when to change it (I guess he never had a vehicle last this many miles).

The only thing I would tell you is check on the belt. It's a moving part and at any time it can go.

Good luck

Also, just login to the Toyota owner's website, and register the truck with the vin #. This will bring up all the history, where you can print it out.
Toyota may be different than Lexus, but if I look for factory service history via the Lexus web site, what I get is far less detailed than having my dealer print service history...check the dealer and see what you get.

Steve

GOOD NEWS. I picked up the Land Cruiser and checked under the hood. The timing belt was done at 90K miles like it should have been, 6 years ago. SO, It is going to need replaced again soon (and I will do the water pump, pulleys, etc...). I will wait till I hit 190-200K before I do it. Thanks for all the input.

The good news is without having to do the timing belt now I can do some other stuff...suspension/lift and tires. THen save some for mechanical needs down the road.

corleykj said:
GOOD NEWS. I picked up the Land Cruiser and checked under the hood. The timing belt was done at 90K miles like it should have been, 6 years ago. SO, It is going to need replaced again soon (and I will do the water pump, pulleys, etc...). I will wait till I hit 190-200K before I do it. Thanks for all the input.

The good news is without having to do the timing belt now I can do some other stuff...suspension/lift and tires. THen save some for mechanical needs down the road.

FYI- I don't think there's a single report on this site of a timing belt that has snapped due to lack of replacing.

Replaced mine at 230K miles.
Back of the belt has uniform light cracking, tooth side looked good for another 100K. I'm not recommending that you ignore the factory replacement interval. This is just a data point if you find yourself fretting that you are 10K late on the replacement.
TBelt_EdgeCondition.jpg

I have heard of a couple who "thought" the timing belt or idler pulleys or bearings caused the engine to go. But they didn't tear into it to find out.

The Toyota dealer told me my engine was a non interference engine (99 model). And the mechanic who did my Tacoma said he thinks it is an interference. That is a side note, but an important one. I am willing to get stranded on the side of the road on a non interference engine. I am not willing to pay for a new engine and be stranded on the side of the road because it is an interference engine.
Thanks for the comment on your belt, and the pic. I think it is definitely over stressed how soon/often people do timing belts.

I have heard of a couple who "thought" the timing belt or idler pulleys or bearings caused the engine to go. But they didn't tear into it to find out.

The Toyota dealer told me my engine was a non interference engine (99 model). And the mechanic who did my Tacoma said he thinks it is an interference. That is a side note, but an important one. I am willing to get stranded on the side of the road on a non interference engine. I am not willing to pay for a new engine and be stranded on the side of the road because it is an interference engine.
Thanks for the comment on your belt, and the pic. I think it is definitely over stressed how soon/often people do timing belts.
I would appreciate more information about what you mean by "interference engine". Thank you.

When the inlet and exhaust valves open they extend down into the cylinder. The question is "do they extend far enough to be hit by the piston if the timing belt breaks?"

For a non interference engine the answer is no. Valves stuck wide open will not be hit by the pistons. If the timing belt breaks on a non interference engine, you will have a dead engine but all it will take to fix it is a new timing belt, properly installed.

For an interference engine the answer is yes. Open valves will be hit, bent, and potentially broken by the pistons. In severe cases piston and rod damage may follow. If the timing belt breaks on an interference engine you will have a dead engine WITH bent and/or broken valves and possible piston and rod damage. At very least the heads will need to come off and the damaged valves replaced.

Last edited:
So what is the 100 series? interference or not?

Coveboy- my co-worker actually went 180+k miles on his 03 Sequoia before changing his original timing belt. If I didn't see it and the mechanic confirm it, I would've never believed it! Out of pure ignorance, he didn't know when to change it (I guess he never had a vehicle last this many miles).

The only thing I would tell you is check on the belt. It's a moving part and at any time it can go.

Good luck

Hahah well actually, my truck is at 179k miles....and the original timing belt. So I can totally relate haha. I'm definitely getting it changed over the summer, but only because I'm transferring schools, so the occasional commute home is changing from 20 minutes to 4 hours haha

Just bought this 04' with 180k from my dad. I'm not sure the timing belt has ever been replaced..smh. having the tech look at it for cracks when the CV boots are repaired. $2500 car turns into a $6000 car real quick!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom