Short Wheel Base 70 series? Advice please... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys thank you for your kind help and feedback...

I live in leopards Hill Road, Lusaka, Zambia...

I am looking to buy a 70 series land cruiser as a long term investment I will keep for life and maintain well...

I do not really have you guys knowledge or expertise on off roading, and am unable to do any repairs or maintenance myself so will be relying on Toyota mechanics when things go wrong.

However for work, I do alot of heavy during driving, even across the border into DRC and also on the very bad Sesheke road to Katima.

I am looking to buy new or low mileage 3 years old after the duty reduces.

My work is IT based so I am not really transporting stuff so the load bearing pick up is not really relevant to me. I also am mainly alone or with one other passengers.

My first shortlisted vehicle was the 76 series...but this would mean I was driving around alot of lead weight for no good reason.

I was considering a short Wheel Base version of the 76 (either 70 or 71 or 72?). These are not sold in Africa but it seems like I can source ex Dubai?

The benefit from my point of view, I hope, would be have to the reliability and toughness of the 76 without the extra weight and size and reduced manouevarability when in town which truthfully I will not use.

Are you kindly able to give me any feedback on my plans? Should I stick with the full 76 or is looking at an swb version sensible?

If I do look at an swb version which model should I consider? Am a bit confused between difference of 70,71 & 72?

Are the swb versions as reliable and resilient as the 76 series do you think? Are the parts pretty much interchangeable with the 76 so when something goes wrong I will able to use 76 parts which are readily available in Africa where the 76 variant is rare or will I face trouble sourcing swb 70 series parts locally?

If the swb version is a runner are you able to pointe kindly to a particular model?

Thanks in advance; I am very grateful to you sharing your in depth expertise;

What are the disadvantages of swb models? Are they weaker or less pleasant to ride?

I have to diesel as petrol (popular in middle East) would be too expensive for me to run...

Or should I keep it simple and go 76 and suffe being a loser with empty passenger seats!!!

As far as I know there are no 72 models. The ride in a 70/71 would probably be a bit more bouncy compared to a 76, but how much I can't tell you. The 76 with the longer wheel base would generally be more comfortable. Parts should all be the same except for parts that are shorter than the 76 like the rear drive shaft and body parts would be different. Some 70/71 come as a soft top too. Any one is good, basically comes down to what you think will fit your needs. Maybe consider long term use also in your decision making, like will you have a family and want to carry them in this vehicle.

I have unhappily found the 3 door short Wheel base seems to be available in petrol only as it's only sold in middle east? Do you think this will make the running costs way higher than diesel? (I live in Zambia not oil rich Dubai alas!) How reliable do you guess this unit would be compared to a 76 classic?

the gas engine I believe is the 4.0 engine that is used in the Tacoma, US market 4Runner, FJCruiser, and maybe other models. Seem to be pretty reliable. Lot's here in the US are getting over the 200,000mi mark. Don't know if other markets that the 70 series is sold in came with the diesel or not.

The swb 70 series have a very uncomfortable ride compared to the longer ones , after driving 70's for about 30 years now my perfect platform is the mwb 73/74 which is unfortunately discontinued long time ago . Depending on quality of diesel fuel around you I would look in to a HZJ76 or if you can always find clean diesel the VDJ76. The weight difference between 70 and 76 will not be that much.

There was a LJ72 variant made although I don’t know what makes it a 72. I think an owner of one posted his up on mud awhile ago. From Vietnam if I remember correctly.

My first shortlisted vehicle was the 76 series...but this would mean I was driving around alot of lead weight for no good reason.

I was considering a short Wheel Base version of the 76 (either 70 or 71 or 72?)

The difference in weight between a 70 and 76 series is not much, but the 76 has a lot more room if you need it and the LWB will soak up the bad roads much better

There was a LJ72 variant made although I don’t know what makes it a 72. I think an owner of one posted his up on mud awhile ago. From Vietnam if I remember correctly.
I remember him. I think its a 70 series with a 3L. When Toyota fitted the 3L to the light duty 7* they added another number , as in LJ79
You usually see the LJ72 in eastern Euro countries.

Hello,

As mentioned above, a SWB 70 Series can have a harsh ride. However, it is also very nimble off road. The current SWB is the 71 Series.

A LWB 70 Series ride a little softer than the SWB. Keep in mind that these trucks were designed for poor roads and heavy loads.

I understand you can get the 71 Series with a 4.0 L V6 gasoline/petrol engine new. The V6 engine is very reliable and provides decent power.

If you do some searching you might find a 71 Series with a 1HZ 4.2 L inline 6-cylinder engine. The 1HZ is a workhorse in Africa.

You can get a 76 Series with the V8 diesel engine in Dubai. An additional filter can help if diesel quality is a concern.

I assume the mechanics you mention are the ones from the dealer. If these mechanics can be trusted, maintenance should not be a problem. Otherwise, get a mechanic you trust for maintenance. 70 Series are very reliable if maintained properly, and will not leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Parts are common between the different models (71/76/78/79.) Try to stay OEM if reliability is important.

I would get a gasoline/petrol 71 Series if fuel price/availability is not a concern.

I would get a diesel 76 Series if fuel price/availability is a concern.

I would also try and find out whether the Toyota mechanics can be trusted, and I would find one I could trust with maintenance.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom