shocks for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ed,
Not sure you need more affirmation but here goes:

I run BFG AT 265/75/16 on stock coils and worn aftermarket jobber shocks right now (saving up for a 2.5" lift). Most people seem to run 285's on a stock suspension although I think those can rub. I had to buy tires right when I bought the truck in Dec and I got a super deal on the 265's compared to 285's before I'd done any research. In hindsight I'd still take the 265's because of the price difference but all things equal the 285's give you extra clearance.

I love the tires so far (5000 miles). Not noisy for an AT tire. Good around town and superb in snow and rain (they are unreal in packed snow). Not sure about ice but they have done fine for me in slush so far. I'm not sure if you can air them down below 20 psi on a sustained basis. At 65 lbs they are rated for 12,000 lbs and at 35 lbs they are rated for 8,000 lbs, so I'm nervous below 20 lbs. However, at 22 lbs they suck up washboard roads pretty well.

As for shocks, I don't know from personal experience. Everything I've read suggests the OME neutral for you would be best if you have the dollars.

As for towing, the less weight on the trailer the better. I would fight the urge to put heavy stuff in the boat and put it in the truck.

Oh yeah, check your brake wear before you start out. I expect you'll need'em.

Thanks for all the input! Ordered the OME 861/862 baby lift coils and the Edelbrock shocks. Should have everything by Fri. My local Toyota dealer will do the spring/shock install for $300. Will report back on the results.

If I still need weight-bearing help I'll do what Creeper did - whack out the bump stops and put in airbags. The OME lift is less than an inch, so the bags should work if I need them.

Thanks everyone
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom