Shock replacement on fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have an 85 fj60 w/ 280k miles. the shocks are 100% original and need replacement. how difficult is it to put just new shocks on a 60. is it a one day prject that can be done in the garage. thanks

It's so easy, even I can do it. I'd give yourself an hour or two including setting up and cleaning up, especially if you haven't done it before, just go slow and you'll be psyched you did it. I would recommend picking up a Haynes manual or factory Toyota manual if you don't already have one. I have both and the Haynes covers this just fine. The Toyota ones are definitely the best, by far, but much more expensive.

Here's what I recall...jack up the vehicle and put jackstands supporting the frame, take off the wheel, take off the old shock, replace with new. That's a little simplified, but not by much.

HTH

CardinalFJ60

I replaced mine in the last couple of weeks, and yes, it is easy, probably taking all of two hours total work time (less if this wasn't the first time I did it). Since mine is a grocery getter/HomeDepot/family 4x4 rather than a serious play toy for now, I wind up putting in Monroe gas-magnums and have been pleased thus far.

I only needed to jack up the rear to change out the rear shocks (used ramps) as the fronts can be changed by rotating the steering wheel all the way over for each side to make enough room. Follow the recommened torque settings, though frankly I couldn't see why for some of them (did it anyway). Also, if the shocks you use come compressed in the box, ensure you align the mount holes up (even putting on the nuts) before you cut the compressing wire. (I originally wnated to put the coil-over sensa traks for the rear in anticipation of hauling some stuff, but those things come uncompressed and I could not for the life of me compress them enough to get them on-hell even the dman truck was going to come off the ramp I was trying so hard:))

Another good thing about doing it yourself: while changing out the fronts, I noticed that both sides of the front swaybar end link were essentially useless with rotted bushings and bent screws (couldn't even be tightened!) . An SOR $30 kit to replace both (and a new steering stabilizer shock) a few weeks later resulted in dramatically improved at-speed steering.

Cruc

You might hit the nuts with penetrating oil for a few days before hand. Only tighten till the bushings start to compress. This is really a one :banana: job. If you jack up the ass end, which you should for room, use jack stands.

I found replacing shocks on my fj60 to be a PITA. However, it was much easier than replacing the spring bushings. My rig was from Colorado and had some corrosion.

local tire store did mine including the steering stabilizer for $20 ;) after about an hour of them trying to break stuff loose with air tools I was happy to give them the twenty bucks.

i never jacked up mine to change the shocks, did it on the road out the front of my house and almost got run over by the neighbor while lying under there, but didn't have an issue, both 40's though, but it should be an easy job, with the only prob being corrosion on the bolts, and clearance to get in there,

for a decent and real in-expensive shock the OEM Toyota(Tokico) are darn good, $80 or so for a set of 4. Prolly the best shock is the Old Man Emu, I run these on 5-6 of my Cruisers and really like em, but they are $60-70 each.

John H

I agree with John H, I had a 62 and ran OME shocks and got some on my 40 too.... good product.

Yo Han

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=1;threadid=6272;start=msg50460#msg50460 date=1066089802]
I found replacing shocks on my fj60 to be a PITA. However, it was much easier than replacing the spring bushings. My rig was from Colorado and had some corrosion.
[/quote]
i also found that replacing my shocks on my fj62 to be a PITA. The hard part was getting the damn shock onto the mount. The new bushings were very tight and very hard to squeeze on. That was the only hard part otherwise very simple. Give yourself extra time just in case.

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=1;threadid=6272;start=msg51252#msg51252 date=1066249464]
i also found that replacing my shocks on my fj62 to be a PITA. The hard part was getting the damn shock onto the mount. The new bushings were very tight and very hard to squeeze on. That was the only hard part otherwise very simple. Give yourself extra time just in case.
[/quote]

shock bushing, do this. Stick em part way in the eye, then put in vise and pop em the rest of the way in or use a hamer, both work well. I little shot of WD 40 or whatever sprayed on the eye make the bushing slide in easier.

I have replace MANY MANY of shocks on Cruisers and never had any problems.

and of course no need to jack it up, I almost never even take the wheels off.

John H

ok. i got home kinda late today but went ahead and put the new shocks on in the rear. as i has hoping the ride is better and handling better just by putting the rear ones on. i was dissapointed however that it still sags somewhat in the back...i guess this means my leaf are just dead. they are stock springs. would putting new rear leaf springs in only be a bad idea or is it smart to do all...oh well tomorrow i hope to put the front shocks on too.. we'll see how it goes. thanks

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=6272;start=msg52362#msg52362 date=1066517176]
ok. i got home kinda late today but went ahead and put the new shocks on in the rear. as i has hoping the ride is better and handling better just by putting the rear ones on. i was dissapointed however that it still sags somewhat in the back...i guess this means my leaf are just dead. they are stock springs. would putting new rear leaf springs in only be a bad idea or is it smart to do all...oh well tomorrow i hope to put the front shocks on too.. we'll see how it goes. thanks
[/quote]

shocks will not help a sagging Cruiser, they do not hold up the Cruiser at all, unless they are a coil over type.

If I were doing stock springs or any spring, I would do all 4

John

Land pimp. i awhile back when we decided to redo the suspension i talked to a mechnic and he said leaf springs or not go ahead and just do the shocks and maybe by some luck that will be all that is needed. seeing as the leaf springs are original and had 280k miles i figured they would need replacement. got the shocks installed all today. the sag is still there but the ride has improved and the suspension does feel tighter. i may keep my eye out for some stock height leaf springs though. thanks

if you just want to fix the sag in the back get add-a-leafs or get longer rear shackles. I did got longer rear shackles and it worked perfectly. No more sag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom