Shock absorber replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace all 4 shocks on my 97 LX450. Does anyone recommend any other brand aside from OME. How about KYB or Monroe? Are these shocks just as capable? I don't take my vehcile off road so I wouldn't need special shocks like OME. I would like to replace it with something that's more steady and stable than the shocks I currently have.

Any comments are welcome!!

If you plan to keep the vehicle at stock height, you would be well served by original Toyota shocks (not Lexus). A complete set would run you less than a hundred bucks.

My .02 :cheers: D-

That's spouting the company line Dan! Keep those posts coming.

Got OME's on mine, stock steering shock tho.

He he he ...Carve another notch in the stock ;)

I put Rancho RS9000Xs on my dad's LX450 for him. He likes them a lot. When he loads it down real heavy he turns them up, if he is running light he turns them down. It took a lot of the sway out of it. They were $300 for the set of 4. The Monroes available for the Cruiser/LX450 are only their lower line. I can't recall what they are called for sure, Reflex?? Anyway, they weren't really good. When he had his Cruiser he replaced them with the KYB? Toyota factory ones and he was happy again. It did make a big difference. I think they were like 18 or 19 each.

I concur with Dan. The OEM shocks work well, and they are cheap. One of the few reasonably priced items on the 80. Stock height only though.

Dan,

Could you please post the PN's for the full set of a '97 (if it's different from the rest).

Thanks in advance!
Frank.

I would strongly discourage you from using Monroe or KYB shocks, they are not of very good quality. If you want to use something besides the stock shocks (which are well tuned, especially if you do not plan on carrying heavy loads) go with OME, Bilstein or Rancho.

Cary

As a temporary measure - what would happen if I used OME shocks [mid-lift, 2.5", N73 N74] with the stock springs (for like a few weeks).

Will they fit?

Will it drive ok?

Yes they fit just dandy, they are about the same compressed length as stock shocks with an additional 1 1/2 travel +/=.

It will drive yummy. ;)

D-

I have the original shocks and steering damper from my 97 with approx. 5k miles on them that someone can have if they pay for the shipping. PM me if you want them.
Bill

LX450, a couple of us on the forum have Edelbrock shocks and are very pleased with them.

Check out edelbrock.com for the technology of the shocks. Not your basic shock.

Ed

Thanks for all the replies, I think I might just go with the OEM form Toyota, it seems like the safest best.

Cdan - You said a set of four Toyota OEM shocks will run about $100, were can I purchase them from, the price sounds a little cheap. I thought must shocks cost at least $75 a piece.

He he he,

I would gladly adjust the selling price upward to meet your expectations. 8)

PM me and I will share the particulars with you. :cheers:

PS, It's less than a hunski. :D

I would strongly discourage you from using Monroe or KYB shocks, they are not of very good quality. If you want to use something besides the stock shocks (which are well tuned, especially if you do not plan on carrying heavy loads) go with OME, Bilstein or Rancho.
:slap: KYB are the Manufacturers of the original Toyota Dampers. - Dad's 1996 FZJ80 still has the original Dampers and are still going very well.
Monroe Magnum GT, Old Man Emu from ARB and Series 2000 from TJM are all the same thing, Except for Paint and Stickers, There's also a very slight variation in Valving. - Made in Adelaide. ;)

I've Gabriel Red Ryder Gas on the front of my BJ40 and have OME HJ60 in the rear(Got them from my brother's friend's Uncle who did'nt like 'em and replaced 'em with air Shocks. - He now has a standard KZJ95 :flipoff2:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom