Builds Shipwreck (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As follow up to the things "wrong"

I did a number of fixes and upgrades to it since I went before....

Tire carrier
just about perfect. what I need to do to it is put an angle under the pin so it can't pop up and disengage.... when I do, I'll put the lock in place so it keeps the honest ones honest
Yay, now I won't need to keep telling you your tire mount is swinging around.

NV4500 is on its way, may spring for an Atlas too.... I know, I know, all the cool kids get automatic transmissions.... but I think we've fully explored that topic and know I'm decidedly not cool. I've pretty much determined there is a problem with the new-to-me AW5... as for what I'm going to do with it... I dunno yet... maybe another, ultra-light build around it or just sell it.

I wonder if it's just low oil in the t-case..... if it is, then yes I am.... but not this weekend - wedding anniversary, and she's more important to me than my '40.

It's here (the nv4500), but dark (so no pictures yet).

Not thrilled with the packing job - I joked with my friend that I add insult to his generosity of allowing it be delivered to his shop by spilling oil all over the floor.

She's a big girl - so I'm still questing whether or not I may just go with the 4l60e (bonus is no adapter is necessary), or I'll engineer this in place. Even if I don't put this in the '40, there is another project coming soon where a 5 speed would be primo.... we will see.....

I wonder if it's just low oil in the t-case..... if it is, then yes I am.... but not this weekend - wedding anniversary, and she's more important to me than my '40.

It's here (the nv4500), but dark (so no pictures yet).

Not thrilled with the packing job - I joked with my friend that I add insult to his generosity of allowing it be delivered to his shop by spilling oil all over the floor.

She's a big girl - so I'm still questing whether or not I may just go with the 4l60e (bonus is no adapter is necessary), or I'll engineer this in place. Even if I don't put this in the '40, there is another project coming soon where a 5 speed would be primo.... we will see.....
I understand how putting your wife first is important. Maybe she wants to go snow wheeling for your anniversary? ;)

I sent her out with the dogs... tomorrow I have to fix her JoKe (the things I do for love... smh)

but in happier news

pictures
ov40r7Hh.jpg

W2dqtR8h.jpg

and I'm still not 100% certain whether this goes in my '40... I may just put in a 4 speed automatic... I got a good deal on the transmission - so we will see.

$1900 v. $2700

it seems like a simple decision. Rebuilding the D300 transfer case (it's making a noise like an intermediate bearing is gone). Then adapting it to the NV4500... So here it goes. Rebuild kit with bearings $280, 4:1 gearset $750 (but it may not be available from any manufacturer now), 32 spline upgrade to forward driveshaft ($300), billet cover to fix the leaking one $120. Adapter from the NV4500 to the D300 $450 or $750. Benefit is the transfer case is shorter than the Atlas (and for rear driveshafts, this is very important). In either case, I need to modify the driveshafts so it's a wash.
v.
Atlas 2 - which takes 12 weeks to get and I get 4.3:1 or 5:1 low range

If I do the atlas, and sell the setup I have now, I might get $500 for all of it so $1900 v. $2200 (but even so, I'm only about 20% sure I could sell it)....

In other news, the NV4500 is 2" shorter than the current set up and will fit vertically

called and confirmed today about timing... they have a back order of 600 t-cases @ advanced adapters. JBConversions has a 10 week wait for 4:1 gears....

I am getting a lower 1st gear with the NV4500, so perhaps wait on the 4:1 conversion and simply fix what I've got.... but put the nv4500 in (there is still the issue with the throwout bearing that requires the transmission to come out again... benefit is if I do go with AA later, the Dana 300 has all the upgrades and is more valuable....

You need to clone yourself so you have time for both.:hmm::hmm:
at the moment, I need parts. I'm thinking that this week I'll drop the t-case cover and see if I can fix the rattle noise from the t-case. Then, at least, it will work fine until I get the parts together to do the big swap... still not 100% sure I'm not going to simply put an automatic in - I have 2 that could bolt right in... the biggest downside (to me) is cooler lines and the issues you've been having with yours.

at the moment, I need parts. I'm thinking that this week I'll drop the t-case cover and see if I can fix the rattle noise from the t-case. Then, at least, it will work fine until I get the parts together to do the big swap... still not 100% sure I'm not going to simply put an automatic in - I have 2 that could bolt right in... the biggest downside (to me) is cooler lines and the issues you've been having with yours.
I can show you what I used for cooling. It is perfect now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom