Builds Shipwreck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm having a hell of a time getting my beadlocks balanced. I was wondering how many bb's you put in each tire. I have 37" tires on 17 inch beadlocks. Let me know what you think, cause I am all out of ideas

I'm having a hell of a time getting my beadlocks balanced. I was wondering how many bb's you put in each tire. I have 37" tires on 17 inch beadlocks. Let me know what you think, cause I am all out of ideas
12 oz. I have 38s (385/70/16). I was driving 80 mph on them yesterday. What is interesting (to me at least), the 38.5 bias plies are significantly lighter (read 20 lbs per tire) then the radials but use the same amount of balance weight.

I'm sure you've checked, but also be sure your wheels are straight - if a flange is bent or spindle, many troubles do occur. I never uploaded it, but I have a video of the tires spinning while the truck was on jackstands to verify this.

Otherwise, defective tires will never balance right - I used to work for an auto rental company, one of the ways they save money is refuse to balance the tires. If there is a vibration, we simply returned the tire (and never heard a peep from the manufacturers).

good luck

12 oz. I have 38s (385/70/16). I was driving 80 mph on them yesterday. What is interesting (to me at least), the 38.5 bias plies are significantly lighter (read 20 lbs per tire) then the radials but use the same amount of balance weight.

I'm sure you've checked, but also be sure your wheels are straight - if a flange is bent or spindle, many troubles do occur. I never uploaded it, but I have a video of the tires spinning while the truck was on jackstands to verify this.

Otherwise, defective tires will never balance right - I used to work for an auto rental company, one of the ways they save money is refuse to balance the tires. If there is a vibration, we simply returned the tire (and never heard a peep from the manufacturers).

good luck
Thanks, I had bad vibration at 48-53 mph, got them rebalanced and now 60-65mph is where they shake. I will start with 12 and see how it goes. Above 65 all the way to 95 I have a smooth ride. However most of my time is between 55-70 and that current speed has bad vibration right in the heart of the envelope

So I wanna say up front- I’ve never had any experience with beadlocks. How is the initial startup when start from a full stop? I ask because my wife drives the truck half the time in the summer and she doesn’t need hiccups. So is it seamless? Suitable for a summertime driver?

now that it's running right, time to retune
5fJhEURh.jpg

and an error code... FiTech is not tolerant at all about electronic noise.... so a shield that keeps the wires away from the distributor is in order
iWjFU2Fh.jpg

Thanks, I had bad vibration at 48-53 mph, got them rebalanced and now 60-65mph is where they shake. I will start with 12 and see how it goes. Above 65 all the way to 95 I have a smooth ride. However most of my time is between 55-70 and that current speed has bad vibration right in the heart of the envelope
I hope it fixes it.... in my experience, out-of-balance tires get progressively worse until it's undriveable....

So I wanna say up front- I’ve never had any experience with beadlocks. How is the initial startup when start from a full stop? I ask because my wife drives the truck half the time in the summer and she doesn’t need hiccups. So is it seamless? Suitable for a summertime driver?
If I understand your question... beadlocks only change how it drives indirectly - via increased weight and lower tire pressures. IIRC, max psi on these beadlocks is 28 psi, which is quite a bit lower than what most tires recommend for minimums. On a relatively light '40, lower tire pressure isn't really noticeable.

I suspect that you meant BBs not beadlock, if not, the following words can be ignored.

As far as using BBs to balance the tire, if you know what BBs sound like rolling around, you'll notice the noise (but it is quite light). As far as dynamic balancing, basically they become a ring inside the tire - they try to go to the center of the wheel, then radiate into a ring. If there's a vibration, more bearings can congregate where the out-of-balance is occurring (ever play one of those rattle games where you need to move a bearing through a maze?) I suspect, though I haven't actually done the math, that the ounces of bearings required for a given tire size are just enough for a ring one bearing deep all the way around the tire... thus that ring shrinks to the area of inbalance... Speed really doesn't affect that happening because at 5 or so mph, there's enough centrifugal force to make the initial ring.

The other question I had, which I answered when I swapped tires... it doesn't affect the inside of the tire at all - you cannot tell that there were bearings rolling around inside.

55-65 is where mine shake. Running 10 oz of air soft beads in each. I tend to drive above 65 on the highway to avoid it. I wonder if that is a good excise if I get pulled over?

If I understand your question... beadlocks only change how it drives indirectly - via increased weight and lower tire pressures. IIRC, max psi on these beadlocks is 28 psi, which is quite a bit lower than what most tires recommend for minimums. On a relatively light '40, lower tire pressure isn't really noticeable.

I suspect that you meant BBs not beadlock, if not, the following words can be ignored.

As far as using BBs to balance the tire, if you know what BBs sound like rolling around, you'll notice the noise (but it is quite light). As far as dynamic balancing, basically they become a ring inside the tire - they try to go to the center of the wheel, then radiate into a ring. If there's a vibration, more bearings can congregate where the out-of-balance is occurring (ever play one of those rattle games where you need to move a bearing through a maze?) I suspect, though I haven't actually done the math, that the ounces of bearings required for a given tire size are just enough for a ring one bearing deep all the way around the tire... thus that ring shrinks to the area of inbalance... Speed really doesn't affect that happening because at 5 or so mph, there's enough centrifugal force to make the initial ring.

The other question I had, which I answered when I swapped tires... it doesn't affect the inside of the tire at all - you cannot tell that there were bearings rolling around inside.
Yes i meant BBs, Thanks for interpreting my question. My main concern is my wife going to have one more thing to compensate for and it sounds like not. I’d be surprised if I could hear the BBs rolling around with the top off. Thanks

Yes i meant BBs, Thanks for interpreting my question. My main concern is my wife going to have one more thing to compensate for and it sounds like not. I’d be surprised if I could hear the BBs rolling around with the top off. Thanks

The BB's should not really roll around at any speed. Once the tire starts spinning enough and the BB's gain enough inertia, centrifugal force should keep the BB's in a pretty fixed place until the tire slows down enough that the lack of inertia allows for the BB's to succumb to gravity.

The BB's should not really roll around at any speed. Once the tire starts spinning enough and the BB's gain enough inertia, centrifugal force should keep the BB's in a pretty fixed place until the tire slows down enough that the lack of inertia allows for the BB's to succumb to gravity.
The Air Soft beads are pretty quiet. I can't hear them except when I am spinning a tire when on jacks or when rolling a tire on the ground, like when rotating tires. Being plastic they do tend to disintegrate over time. Based on my driving experience I estimate they are good for 10k to 15k miles before needing to be replaced. Metal BB's have a better life span.

I hear them, but they're not something you'd notice right away

55-65 is where mine shake. Running 10 oz of air soft beads in each. I tend to drive above 65 on the highway to avoid it. I wonder if that is a good excise if I get pulled over?
@srgould41, and others with tire wobble. I had a HORRIBLE time with a set of 37” radials on 17” bead locks. Used high quality glass beads to balance, no change. Checked wheels, spindles, bearings... finally swapped to new tires and the issue was gone. Figured 10 year old tires that had been wheeled hard was actually the root problem. 55-60mph on links was BAD

@srgould41, and others with tire wobble. I had a HORRIBLE time with a set of 37” radials on 17” bead locks. Used high quality glass beads to balance, no change. Checked wheels, spindles, bearings... finally swapped to new tires and the issue was gone. Figured 10 year old tires that had been wheeled hard was actually the root problem. 55-60mph on links was BAD
36" swampers aren't the best for street driving for sure.

today was a snow day
same normal cast of characters
rOKqXDAh.jpg

but we didn't go last year...
new tires tried out
pKNYhLDh.jpg

simply works
d7a40dmh.jpg

last time I took this picture, it was sunnier, today it was better.... but not because of the weather.
Gih9Ooth.jpg

made our own tracks
dqfx7J5h.jpg

snow wasn't perfect
pzbmOkth.jpg

who cares?
iN8kLjUh.jpg

there's new things to tidy up. An oil leak from the steering box, a vibration from the driveshaft and a transmission that is again making noise. Add to this that the radiator seems to be slightly plugged.... and yet.... what a great day

I would add my pictures, but yours were better. Great day in the snow. Maybe we'll get another good snowfall and we can go again.
I have videos as well, but they'll take some editing....

Need to figure out that 2nd gear noise first.... I also have to pull the dash and send it off for warranty work. I guess the controller is what is causing my rear signals to randomly illuminate (also the dash display has an internal problem which causes the clock to reset).
The list:

- Vibration in 4th at 60 mph*
- Noise in 2nd gear with clutch depressed (sounds like a throwout bearing but only in 2nd gear)
- Dash issue
- signal issue
- Oil leak from steering box*
- Coolant issue - I think the Earl's I used before has restricted the flow in the radiator. I don't overheat, but if I turn the heater off, it will overheat
- Heavy clutch
- put a catch on the spare tire carrier*

* are things that started on this last run

I may be able to defer maintenance but I need to know why it's doing that vibration and the 2nd gear thing before I go out... and before I get looking at that, I need to make my Corvette run so I have shop space...

which is a really long way of saying, I'd love to go but I can't right yet.... you're not available next weekend, so (hopefully) I can at least diagnose and be able to go when you're up... I don't care if the transmission is having trouble - it can blow up for all I care, but I want to make sure it doesn't hurt things that I do care about....

As follow up to the things "wrong"

I did a number of fixes and upgrades to it since I went before....

Tires
I love these, still getting used to their nuance. In that vein, they roll easier, they're quieter, they have better flotation. They also wander more.

EFI
Finally getting this tuned in - adding the MSD EFI control box was the right thing to do. I don't get better fuel economy but I have a lot more power and driveability. E.g. Despite having tires that are taller and 30% heavier, I can use 5th gear - with the swampers and last EFI, 5th gear was pretty much pointless. That said, the extra power may inform to those issues I've mentioned above.

Gear Box
Copy it, maybe the Chinese will copy it too because it works a really well... maybe... when they copy it, they should form it out of mostly plastic... would save weight... not just that but the seat isn't as uncomfortable as it may seem... granted, I won't willingly be a passenger in my rig, but it's not terrible.

Tire carrier
just about perfect. what I need to do to it is put an angle under the pin so it can't pop up and disengage.... when I do, I'll put the lock in place so it keeps the honest ones honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom