Builds Shipwreck (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so to explain.... so people understand.... I think you all know what I think of opinions.... anyway. I wasn't looking for a larger tire, the 38/13 is the right size for the weight of this rig - however, the sizes go 315/75r16 to 385/70r16. There isn't another real option.

radial tires that clear the Ford calipers are somewhat of a challenge... in 16" wheels there is a bit, but until I found these, the largest radial was a 35 or swampers (which have a softer compound).
The entire point of this rig is long distance travel. Sure, I could trailer it, but then why wouldn't I simply build a buggy? Radial tires with big sidewalls (not these hateful forklift -thin-sidewalls) is what I want. Of course, they also weigh more... I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 20 lbs more per corner (and I do need to weight these to find out).
The next part of this build is to get better fuel economy. I would have put a r2.8 cummins in it if they had been available and may yet still - with that said, the other choice is something I've very familiar with - the 6.5 Detroit diesel..... I want 16 or better.... I know I can get it with the 6.5, I think the 2.8 may have to work too hard to get it.
I have a steering change to make, it was a compromise that I didn't make the panhard bar as long as the steering cross shaft. To me, it's fine and an anti-theft device - but to truly be distance travel... it needs to be right....
the steering fix is next, then I'm going to start narrowing in on what motor.... there is a going joke about how many Corvettes I'll build while owning this... the answer is 3 and counting.... that black one may have found a new home (and I really don't 'want' to sell it, but it's a car, but there's a back story and the short version is the guy who caused the build may buy it - and the money would be nice ;) )

I know 2 people who've done the 2.8. One in a 60 and one in a 40. They both state that highway use is great. The 40 owner is not happy off-road since the turbo doesn't really kick in for low speed crawling and it is not making power. Something to think about.
I have a friend up here who converted his '40 to a r2.8, he said something similar. That said, his never goes off-road. Nice thing about the 6.2 and 6.5 is they have no electronics to fail.

I'm so glad I bought that tire machine... $200 well spent. it doesn't work well, and hefting these wheels onto it hurts.... but so much easier
last wheels.. done
8aGzIab.jpg

8zaX5MZh.jpg

and, of course, the last wheel - that bead broke the first push... all the rest I'd have to spin the wheel on the machine to get it to go (this machine is also very used, maybe even used up)
I like it, and it rides SO much better
E6oEFvnh.jpg

got the Suburban ready for a trip, but that's boring stuff... since I didn't have a lot of time for other stuff today - figured I'd do some mirror work
the parts
uPxlw01.jpg

I put these on initially... was easy and cheap
tL9isgJ.jpg

weld the adapter on
XGlGrhn.jpg

think it looks better with its stock mirrors
xTSKTUL.jpg

Kuesf8L.jpg

then onto brake stuff.... the line lock worked for awhile, now, not so much.... maybe go more manual?
N4KcCvX.jpg

and I really need to resolve the transfer case brake.... so this handle should do it
ZHAMTO1.jpg

On Sunday, I'm taking part in a drive by for support of a family whose Marine couldn't beat his demons. That means I need to have a way to attach a flag to show his family that we do care.

m89AmxJh.jpg

322LWGPh.jpg

fm3rqeMh.jpg

If anyone in the Puget Sound area wants to participate,
honor to fallen Marine

Last edited:
a decision to make...
use the big cap HEI or the small cap HEI from the TBI system.

so the random pluses and minuses

big cap - I can always put the chip back in, hook up the vacuum, and untie the mechanical advance
down side is simple.... I have to do that list

small cap... big hole to fill when I remove the chip and replace it with 2 wires.
Also it's more of a pain to wire and reinstall the coil
in that vein, the only place for the CDI is above the distributor (needs air flow).... which means I could have electric field issues - if the coil is moved (small cap), that isn't as much of a problem... that said I've never had trouble with a 6A or 6AL....

Gonna be done for some wheeling this weekend?
Also, we can leave from there... that's pretty close to Darrington - haven't wheeled that in awhile.... btw, you should come to this thing... anyone who knows me know that I avoid funerals - but sometimes what we don't want to do is the best thing to do.

Also, we can leave from there... that's pretty close to Darrington - haven't wheeled that in awhile.... btw, you should come to this thing... anyone who knows me know that I avoid funerals - but sometimes what we don't want to do is the best thing to do.
Too late, already made other plans. Picked up a dash cam for my wife's car. This time it actually had the dash cam in the box and not a block of wood. Going to be installing it today. The fun part will be snaking the wire from the rear camera.

went with HEI big cap.... mostly because I didn't want to pull the distributor
as with all good things, the project starts with something seemingly unrelated... removal of the battery access door
5LxI2uuh.jpg

needed to disconnect so I made the entire access removeable

I'm pretty sure I had a phasing problem... it's firing at the 'end' of the tab then corroding... voila, my misfire
vaPJqi7h.jpg

VL46j7zh.jpg

in unrelated, time to fix this mess
h8KZo0hh.jpg

about that breaker.... it works great, unless you're using the winch and you have an alternator that puts out more amps then its rated capacity
cleaner
135TRpyh.jpg

locking out the distributor - the wrong way, unless it's Saturday night and you want to use it on Sunday
H31uTpxh.jpg

bGjM4dth.jpg

and it runs, tomorrow - make the wiring better
FBEbH9Gh.jpg

next weekend, I hope...

so wisely, I wrote the plug numbers on the end where the cap goes.... wrote the wrong number on 2.... want to guess who almost burned his '40 down before he figured it out. Once that was done, all the tuning I'd done was wrong....

that said prayer gave me wisdom to check firing order, then wisdom to get the various fuel and timing settings close enough to make it to the memorial drive by. I kept telling myself (it almost burned twice), then took 2 stops to get it so it'd work at low speed (because timing was so far off).... left at 11:30, should have been there at 11:55. Procession was to start at 12:50, started about 5 late.... thankfully.

Was the only '40 there, there was an FJ...

still, I just wish .... seriously, don't kill yourself, it hurts.

I'll be back to my normal self later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom