Shifting issue with 1981 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had my 1981 FJ40's gearbox and clutch replaced as it stopped shifting while the engine was running. The mechanic said the gearbox was run dry. After less than 500 km, I have the same problem again - it shifts fine while the engine is not running (you can run through all the gears), but once the engine is running I can't shift at all into any gears. Any suggestions for the fix? Cheers.

What was changed out with clutch replacement - MC and SC?

I gave him clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder and the hoses. The other work he did (I am translating from Czech) - clutch lining, crankshift bearing, socket hydraulics, seals, transmission (gearbox) and the fluids.

had you ever crawled under and visually checked that the work was actually done... i have seen many a shady work done here (USA). Worked for a guy and saw stuff he did ... promptly quit that job.

if you pump the clutch does the pedal become firmer?

notice any fluid leaks by the master or slave?

had you ever crawled under and visually checked that the work was actually done... i have seen many a shady work done here (USA). Worked for a guy and saw stuff he did ... promptly quit that job.

if you pump the clutch does the pedal become firmer?

notice any fluid leaks by the master or slave?
The work was done - checked it in the garage and it ran fine for 500 km, no shifting issues.

When I pump the clutch the pedal becomes firmer.

As for leaks, all the seals were replaced at the last garage visit, so haven't noticed any.

The work was done - checked it in the garage and it ran fine for 500 km, no shifting issues.

When I pump the clutch the pedal becomes firmer.
Which begs the question: when you pump the pedal, will the transmission shift?

I'm sure what 65swb45 is getting at, is that you might have a slave cylinder issue. I would agree with this, from the info that you've given so far.

Which begs the question: when you pump the pedal, will the transmission shift?
It shifts fine when the engine is not engaged (ie key off). With the engine on/running, there is no chance in hell to shift into any gear.

I’ll ask this way because it doesn’t seem like you are understanding

With engine running … Pump up the clutch … the pedal will become firm … try to shift it

Does it Now shift?

If so the problem is most likely slave cyl or master cyl or air in the lines

Bleed the clutch system … very well

Try shifting normal

If it works with pumping but not normal now… replace both master and slave

Rebuild the master and slave and you’ll have a spare of each :meh:

Go do the top part of this post and report back

I recently had my 1981 FJ40's gearbox and clutch replaced as it stopped shifting while the engine was running. The mechanic said the gearbox was run dry. After less than 500 km, I have the same problem again - it shifts fine while the engine is not running (you can run through all the gears), but once the engine is running I can't shift at all into any gears. Any suggestions for the fix? Cheers.
Well, you were right. The main issue was that the guy never put the clutch parts in the first time, hid them in a box and didn't tell me, just nodded when I asked. After the translator was involved, I got the clear answer. Now the MCS and slave driver are in and it is shifting fine. It took a long time for the repair. Going to have to find a new mechanic. So if anyone has someone in Prague, Czech Republic, let me know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom