shifter stuck ... sometimes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1973 F 155 3 speed stock transmission and transfer case. sometimes -- the shifter will get stuck in gear - while daily driving this happens very rarely, usually on longer (25+. minute) drives. Say once every 2-3 weeks. I'll be slowing to a stop and can't get it to budge out of 2nd or 3rd. Usually once stopped a good rip will get it out. Sometimes another push of the clutch and it slips out like normal. Usually once it comes free it's easy to get into the next gear. Sometimes it's stuck in neutral and I'm basically fiddling with the clutch and stick trying to get it to budge. If I'm on an incline I'll try rolling. That sometimes works and other times doesn't.

Basically, I can't figure out a) what causes this to happen and b) the secret to getting it unstuck.

I was wheeling yesterday in 4 low most of the day. I bet it got stuck 8-10 times over 6-8 hours. Sometimes it came free pretty easily. Once or twice I think I manually yanked it back to neutral. I know -- probably not ideal but I was able to drive 50 miles to the trail. wheel all day and 50 miles home. So I'll call that a success.

Any tips? I see threads about shifters getting stuck but those seem less intermittent and more 'it's stuck' whereas I've always been able to free mine, but I'd definitely like to isolate and resolve the problem. I think I could take the top cover off but it's not clear to me what I should look for once it's off?

Thanks -- Dave

Check fluid level first because it’s easy and free? When’s the last time it was changed?

Does it shift through the gears easily when sitting still and not running? If so, maybe the problem is the clutch is not disengaging like it should which will make shifting difficult.

Does it shift through the gears easily when sitting still and not running? If so, maybe the problem is the clutch is not disengaging like it should which will make shifting difficult.
99% of the time it shifts through fine when sitting still and not running and also fine when moving / running. Sometimes it sticks. It does seem like the clutch isn't doing it's job. I'm just not sure why it would work smoothly sometimes and other times it's just stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom