shift lock stuck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 91 fj80 will not shift out of park. i have to press the shift lock over ride button to shift. and yes i'm pressing the brake as i try to shift. i did a quick search of the board but couldn't really find anything. what should i look at?

Do you have working brake lights? Check fuses, brake light switch.. With the key on engine off you should hear a click when you press the brake.

yep, if not unlocking it prolly the rear brake light fuse. And if for some reason you can never track down the problem, remove console and zip tie the little pawl out of the way.

I had the same problem on my 97 LX. Blown fuse. I was told by the stealer (previous to me finding Mud) I was pulling too much due to me running a cell phone charger? Anyway, new fuse should do it. If you need to move the car, pop the small dime sized cover on the shift panel and use a pen or screwdriver to push in the release. (hope that's accurate info).

Last edited:
I had a brake light that was out, but didn't have a problem with shifting out of park. Might just be a fuse thing.

willmaxr said:
I had the same problem on my 97 LX. Blown fuse. I was told by the stealer (previous to me finding Mud) I was pulling too much due to me running a cell phone charger? Anyway, new fuse should do it. If you need to move the car, pop the small dime sized cover on the shift panel and use a pen or screwdriver to push in the release. (hope that's accurate info).

That is correct, it is also listed step by step in the owners manual.

Yep, fuse. Happend to me. I drove 1.5 hours at night, in the snow from Raleigh to Greensboro with no dash lights or tail lights before i realized it was a fuse. I had no idea the tail lights were out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom