Shaver Lake, Ca / Bald Mountain Fire look out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to get more directional info on this Bald Mountain trail down in Fresno. We planning a trip up there next week. We’ll camp at shaver lake and do some of the trails that are possibly open.

Ranger says it’s open as of now but expecting snow this week. Snow wheeling would be nice.

Any camp spot suggestions? And what other trail in the area can we run?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, you know how it goes, take everything on the internet with a grain of salt. As far as info from the Ranger, it might be legally open but otherwise not advisable at this time of year.

I’ve read this on trails.com as well, but what’s weird is when I called the ranger station they said bald mountain specifically they are open but on a snow watch until this Wednesday.

And I’ve seen a few posts in FB people being there.

Last edited:
you can camp about anywhere along rock creek road (road to BM trailhead) no bathrooms out there, but nice dispersed camping. that road is my childhood stomping grounds. depending on snow, Rock Creek Road is also the road to Brewer Lakes, and a couple other well known trails, and the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness hiking trail network (a good walk to take, BTW). expect a thin icy layer of white stuff, but also be prepared for up to 70* days next weekend. it will get frickin cold at night, too. you say you checked that dinkey creek road is open? I think there is a gate before rock creek road, and if there is much snow, it is usually closed till spring. That said, we haven't had any measurable snowfall this year, and nothing that sticks for more than a few days. Hey, post up if you get confirmation about Dinkey Creek Road being open. I have been wanting to get up there, but didn't want to waste the drive to be stopped by the gate and 3" of snow. That said. I'd like to try to make a run Sunday if you guys are still up there. Saturday is booked already.

@pilotuku Maybe next time I can tag along with you guys. I already have this Mojave trip planned with some co workers.
Post lots of pics man and be safe out there.

@pilotuku Maybe next time I can tag along with you guys. I already have this Mojave trip planned with some co workers.
Post lots of pics man and be safe out there.

Have fun in Mojave John... I need to go there to this year... it’s been 4years since we went there. Mojave is pretty during spring. Wild flowers are blooming at his time.
Have fun and be safe...

@LAMBCRUSHER, thanks for the info. As per my call with ranger office yesterday, they are open. I will call again tomorrow.

We’ll most likely camp out at rock creek road and hopefully there’s enough room for 8 Toyota’s...

Last edited:
In recent years, the only time Bald Mountain is closed is during the spring runoff. Vehicles on the trail would cause more damage during this time.

In winter, when there's snow, it's a lot of fun going up there. Rock Creek Road is not plowed, so sometimes a snow run won't even make it to the actual trail. If you make it that far, the last bit on the granite lets you just fly over the snow. Great picture and video opportunities there.

Speaking of Marlin and BigMike, you could check out some of the threads on the MC forum. This old one has a lot of pics and info: Bald Mtn snow wheeling

It turned out to be a great weekend! We made it to Bald Mountain but only made it to the second fork, by the granite. The snow got thicker and and poured heavier in the afternoon.
We wasted our time helping heeps get unstuck, but it was in good spirit.

We all got stuck as well. We had a full size Chevy with us and actually saved our butts by tugging most of us.

None of the groups we saw and met made it to the fire lookout. We all turned around Midway because of the heavy snow and for safety reasons as well.
Even so, rock creek road was already a challenge and spent 3hrs before we got to the trail head!

193F76BE-29DA-4BA9-9E21-B9F2264E6126.jpeg

1D26299C-98EC-4878-B485-A4552E9A32E7.jpeg

We got back down early enough and camped near the entrance by rock creek road.

EBC8C19E-2D98-4B8E-95C1-88790312A915.jpeg

It was a 27degree morning!
244A9C2F-7A64-417B-9D12-CC6A866830E4.jpeg

FAFC3915-919B-4F53-A554-B29BB1DC61F5.jpeg

Last edited:
62AF6717-CCCD-4138-A908-31BEC2A39688.jpeg
8AD4128E-EFF6-4046-B470-06A0FA769052.jpeg

3CB048C3-2698-4B78-B387-29353C196DAD.jpeg
6B5F039B-8224-4F72-9FB9-8B9E5B3486D1.jpeg

Ice cold!
AE04F855-6DC3-4628-9D10-009957F17687.jpeg

Looks like a good time. :)

Not mine, it’s my cousin’s rig. It’s the first time I’ve seen them break off from tugging. It was a soft pull but it guess it was hard enough to break it.

D155170B-0701-4B64-BA45-C68D4F4B0631.jpeg

wow, that looks like work! you'll have to come back in 3 weeks when its bone dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom