Serpentine Belt Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the serpentine accessory drive belt on the 200 series(2016) be replaced by accessing it from under the hood(rather than from below, requiring removal of the protection panels), maybe requiring removal of the coolant overflow container? I did it several times on my 100 series and it was a simple matter of routing the new belt properly and then using a wrench on the tensioner to rotate it to reduce tension on the tensioner pulley and sliding the belt over it. Any pitfalls or tips? I am at 75,000 miles and it seems like a good idea before summer travels. Should I replace the tensioner at the same time? My son-in-law had a tensioner fail on his Suburban at freeway speeds and it was pretty ugly.

Peter

Speaking of belt and tensioner. I'm getting them replaced this week at 56,000 miles. Chirping when the engine warms up and I figured might as well replace the belt too. My local mechanic is doing the work. Any experience with what this should cost would be appreciated?
Make sure your local mechanic uses OEM parts. It took me 2 hours as a shade tree mechanic in my driveway.

Will order from IMPEX or PartsOuq
So are the OEM parts that you are getting from either Partsouq or IMPEX come in Toyota box, that are stamped "Dayco" on the parts, more reliable than the actual Dayco parts that are placed in a "Dayco " box? Does Dayco have a plant over in Japan?

So are the OEM parts that you are getting from either Partsouq or IMPEX come in Toyota box, that are stamped "Dayco" on the parts, more reliable than the actual Dayco parts that are placed in a "Dayco " box? Does Dayco have a plant over in Japan?
Made in Japan brah. They do if they’re stamped that.

Pulled my OEM tensioner & idler pulley out of the boxes to see how they were stamped/etched. This is what they look like.

20220518_160029.jpg

20220518_160211.jpg

Will order from IMPEX or PartsOuq
PartsOuq pictures the belt with a Toyota PN. The belt itself shows Mitsubishi as the manufacturer. I'd rate Dayco as an equivalent replacement. And the same goes for the idler and tensioner, as the pics here show Dayco as the oem source.

PartsOuq pictures the belt with a Toyota PN. The belt itself shows Mitsubishi as the manufacturer. I'd rate Dayco as an equivalent replacement. And the same goes for the idler and tensioner, as the pics here show Dayco as the oem source.
I'm wondering if both Dayco, and Mitsubishi are OEM manufacturers for Toyota belts...maybe the Dayco belts are for Tundra's, and the Mitsubishi's go on the L.C's...now I'm gonna have to inspect my belt I pulled off just for curiosity. Reason I say that is b/c in the Tundra video I watched last summer on how to change my belt, the guy mentioned "Dayco" was OEM supplier.

I know Mitsubishi is/was the OEM manufacturer for the timing belts that came in the Aisin kits for the 100 series. Now I'm curious to find out who is the OEM supplier for the belt, idler & tensioner on the 100 series? Rock Auto has a pretty good package deal going on with the Dayco & Gates belt kits, I inquired about it last fall, and didn't get alot of responses.

Any thoughts on this supplier?

It looks like they're selling the OEM parts. Just don't use the belt diagram in the picture it is wrong.

It isn’t uncommon to use multiple suppliers for certain parts, or for suppliers to change over the years.

I’ve not one heard of Bando.. but that doesn’t mean they can’t make a good belt.

I’ll keep buying OEM from the discount sites, personally. Guaranteed toyota level of quality, which is why I bought this car in the first place.

I'm wondering if both Dayco, and Mitsubishi are OEM manufacturers for Toyota belts...maybe the Dayco belts are for Tundra's, and the Mitsubishi's go on the L.C's...now I'm gonna have to inspect my belt I pulled off just for curiosity. Reason I say that is b/c in the Tundra video I watched last summer on how to change my belt, the guy mentioned "Dayco" was OEM supplier.

I know Mitsubishi is/was the OEM manufacturer for the timing belts that came in the Aisin kits for the 100 series. Now I'm curious to find out who is the OEM supplier for the belt, idler & tensioner on the 100 series? Rock Auto has a pretty good package deal going on with the Dayco & Gates belt kits, I inquired about it last fall, and didn't get alot of responses.
My brother is an engineer for Dayco. Although he strictly works with Catepillar tractors and heavy machinery front end accessory drives so far as I know I'm sure he could look up if their belts/pulleys/tensioners are OEM for any model year LCs. I'll ask him.

Changed the idler $98, and tensioner assembly $95 today (toyota parts). Took me about 1 hour once I figured out how to compress the new tensioner before the install. Used my pool fence holes in the ground, they lined up perfectly. So you mechanic will likely take 2 hours of labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom