AltFuel Seriously $15.00/ft for Viton??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aaron,
Thanks for the offer. I just got the warning word that my job assignment maybe wrapping up soon and I´ll be moving back to the US. The sick part is that folks are being vague about when the move date is exactly:censor: As such I f I´m still here in March we´re good. I´ll reach out and PM you in February. How are you coming down exactly, planning on driving your cruiser?:hmm:
John

Back when I was running BD in my Duramax I did some research for various BD compliant fuel lines. here is what I found:

Biodiesel Compatible Fuel Lines

Goodyear part numbers 65148 thru 65153 & 65161 thru 65163 meet SAE specification J30R9. B100 compatible.
Gates part number 4241G and 4241M for marine use.
Kuriyama part number A4143.
NAPA fuel injection hose part H205.
McMaster Carr Viton rubber tubing part number 5119K51. Very expensive!!

Apparently any USCG approved fuel line with SAE J1527 type A-1 approval is B100 compatible. Also, it looks like Gates is releasing or has released part number 4219-BD specifically for B100 use.

The hose I have is the SAE J1527 rated hose from a company called Shields. They also make marine exhaust hoses and such. The hose didn't have a part number on the casing. It only listed the manufacturer and the SAE rating.

Guys,
This has been a great discussion and there is lots of useful info in this thread. The guys at the new NAPA store are great and with my club discount and discount from the shop account etc, they gave me a great deal on this stuff.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

I still need bits and pieces for my biod friendly fuel system/ auxillary tank mod. This was a big step, thanks for the help.:cheers:
John

Natural Rubber has never been used to make fuel lines. Petro-diesel attacks natural rubber.

Fuel line that is US Coast Guard approved is Biodiesel Compatible.

Just to be clear that Napa Fuel injection hose referenced above that I bought and the stuff that Summit sells are the same Gates SAE30R9 product. After speaking to the Gates rep I used the SAE30R9 rating as my reference point and the rest was about price and availability.

Great to hear. How long have you been running B100? Where do you buy B100 in your neck of the woods?:cheers:

Back when I was running BD in my Duramax I did some research for various BD compliant fuel lines. here is what I found:

Biodiesel Compatible Fuel Lines

Goodyear part numbers 65148 thru 65153 & 65161 thru 65163 meet SAE specification J30R9. B100 compatible.
Gates part number 4241G and 4241M for marine use.
Kuriyama part number A4143.
NAPA fuel injection hose part H205.
McMaster Carr Viton rubber tubing part number 5119K51. Very expensive!!...

I discovered that Parker 801 is not sufficiently biodiesel and diesel resistant to last for more than about 40,000 km. In that time the inner lining became brittle and cracked, fuel seeped through and dissolved the outer jacket.

I've replaced the Parker 801 with NAPA/Gates H350A Barricade™ fuel injection hose, it's biofuel and multi-fuel rated.

NAPA/Gates H350A replaces NAPA fuel injection hose part H205.

It was $4 per foot; the $15/ft Viton is likely overkill.

I've been using clear Tygothane from Mcmaster-Carr for years now with no issues, I run mostly WVO but also B100 and diesel. It's cheap too, plus its clear so you can always see exactly what's going on in your lines.

Viton is a brand name put out by DuPont. It is simply a flouroelastomer, for which there are other sources out there besides DuPont for hoses, seals, O-rings, and the such. Google "flouroelastomer hose" or something similar and you should find multiple sources, some of which likely selling such hose specifically for biodiesel applications. Anything rated sae30r10 should be fine, along with most or all sae30r9 -- manufacturers such as Gates have sae30r10 that is completely submersible... withstanding fuel exposure both internally and externally (not cheap though from what I have seen).

I just picked this up at the local NAPA for USD$3something per foot. They even had a data sheet claiming "100% biodiesel compatible" and "submersible".

P3040024.jpg

Bumping an old thread with a bit of an update/question. I am in the process of replacing all the fuel lines in my BJ73 with a 3bii to run biodiesel (good timing too, someone used heater hose in one section of my system, haha). I am looking at the NAPA/Gates part numbers looks like the H350A Barricade mentioned above is a 3/8 and is too large for the 3bii. I would need Gates 27340 at 8mm (or Gates 5/16") and could be used for the line from the tank to IP. The smaller dimeter return is 6.35mm ID, so Gates 27347 at 6.3mm (or Gates 1/4").

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom