AltFuel Seriously $15.00/ft for Viton??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok this started easily enough. Gathering up stuff to add on a long range tank on my 40. This will serve as a secondary tank for long trips. As such I decided why not use the occassion of adding in a new tank to change out my rubber OEM fuel lines for Viton. Additionally I´m planning on running B100 or as close as I can get to it when I get back to the States. I checked in with the fellows over at Grease works and BLAM right between the eyes $15.00/foot for Viton???:eek::eek::eek:

The Grease Works Online Store

I read about McMaster Carr but am having trouble getting to the bio diesel resistant fuel hose PN for hose with an inner dimension of less than an inch, e.g. 5/16. Even then McM and C is talking about more than $11.00/foot.:eek::eek::eek:

Has anyone found a cheaper source for Viton? Failing that, does anyone have a link to the McM and C viton hose in diameters of less than 1".

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
I now have found this hose at Jegs. Assuming that my math is right it comes out to $4.27/foot instead of $15.00/foot.:hmm:

Gates 27095

Again, anyone have any experience running this hose using B100?

The second question is how much am I going to need? I ran a search and the best estimate that came out of that effort was a vague reference in a thread to "10 foot for this part, a couple of more for that section and a bit more for the last part... "
Thanks.

Well, it appears at least that a couple of frybrid guys confirm that SAE30R9 hose is biod compatible as well, per their experience, svo compatible as well. Anyone running SAE30R9 spec fuel hose?

So everyone is running either Viton or rubber...Really? No one has ever questioned paying $15.00/ft for Viton when you could pay $4+/ft for what at least is rated as it's functional equivalent. Seriously, no one has ever looked at this question before?:confused:

So everyone is running either Viton or rubber...Really? Of course not, what a silly assumption.

John,
Glad to hear from you. Obviously that's my point. The whole idea behind this thread was to find out what experience others were having with alternatives to Viton. If anything I have been suprised at the lack of responses. I appreciate yours.
:cheers:
John

I asked a while ago at my local auto parts store. Their response was that there is no natural rubber hose sold anymore. They told me that all diesel rated fuel hose was similar to the Dupont's Viton hose. For example Goodyear's Ortac hose would also meet your needs as would Dai-El, Fluorel, Technoflon, etc. You could go to your parts supplier and ask for "fuel injection hose". I believe that if it is marked SAE 30R9 then it is good for bio. You'll likely have to check this yourself on the hose before they cut it.

Interesting article SAE30R7v. SAE30R9

I´m still gathering up all of the bits for my dual tank setup. Got the tank, dual filler neck and the Pollak switch. Still working on the other stuff. I just had my fuel pump rebuilt and I noticed this afternoon that the mechanic shop just threw on new fuel hose rated SAE 30R7. That sent me back do some research on the comparative properties of SAE30R7 and SAE30R9 fuel hose and found this intersting article:

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/brochure/TechTipsForm.pdf

The up shot is that 30R7 is not well suited for fuel injected diesel applications. Thought that I´d pass it on.:cheers:

Back when I was running BD in my Duramax I did some research for various BD compliant fuel lines. here is what I found:

Biodiesel Compatible Fuel Lines

Goodyear part numbers 65148 thru 65153 & 65161 thru 65163 meet SAE specification J30R9. B100 compatible.
Gates part number 4241G and 4241M for marine use.
Kuriyama part number A4143.
NAPA fuel injection hose part H205.
McMaster Carr Viton rubber tubing part number 5119K51. Very expensive!!

Apparently any USCG approved fuel line with SAE J1527 type A-1 approval is B100 compatible. Also, it looks like Gates is releasing or has released part number 4219-BD specifically for B100 use.

The hose I have is the SAE J1527 rated hose from a company called Shields. They also make marine exhaust hoses and such. The hose didn't have a part number on the casing. It only listed the manufacturer and the SAE rating.

brand name.........

Viton is a brand name. It may be why it's expensive.

Like Galt said, find a Parker dealer and get some nitrile based hose. Cheap and rated for svo and B100.
best
aaron

Viton is a brand name. It may be why it's expensive.

Like Galt said, find a Parker dealer and get some nitrile based hose. Cheap and rated for svo and B100.
best
aaron

Parker 801

Guys,
Thanks for the tip on Parker 801. There aren´t any Parker dealers overseas where I am so I googled it and the prices are really great. I was troubled however by some things that I read in this biod and veggie forum in which some of the posters discussed the comparison between Parker 801 /nitrile hose and the Gates SAE30R9 compliant hose. This discussions about finding black peanut butter like goo was alarming. It may have had to do with the kind of wvo that the individuals were running who knows. You guys seem to have had a good experience with it. I plan to be running B100 once I get back to the states in a month or so. As such I´m less concerned about caustic versions of wvo. Anyway given the upcoming end of my tour this will come down to availibility here and speed of shipping. NAPA finally opened here in El Salvador and is offering me a great deal on the Gates stuff. I´m going to shop around on the net for the Parker stuff but I´d ask what you guys think about the comments posted in the below forums regarding Parker 801? Thanks and :cheers:
John

hose types for veg fuel - Biodiesel & SVO Discussion Forums Archive - <A HREF="http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums">Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com</A>

Gates/Parker dealer........

Hi John,
I just visited a dealer of lots of brands of hose, (they deal mostly with bigger forestry harvesting outfits), and the counter dude got out a product line book and found me something nitrile based that was rated for B100. Straight svo is less of a 'cleaner' than B100. I run SVO. Anyway I believe I'm using a Gates product but it could be Parker. Next time I look at some leftover hose I'll let you know in detail. Either way I've never run into black gooey problems but it sure does sound like the fuel is degrading that hose.

On another note, are you close to the coast? I may be in your area someday for a surf adventure.
best
Aaron

I could bring some down!

John,
Someday if I'm in your region we could coordinate me bringing some hose, (and whatever else you need for that matter) down to you!
aaron

Hi John,
I just visited a dealer of lots of brands of hose, (they deal mostly with bigger forestry harvesting outfits), and the counter dude got out a product line book and found me something nitrile based that was rated for B100. Straight svo is less of a 'cleaner' than B100. I run SVO. Anyway I believe I'm using a Gates product but it could be Parker. Next time I look at some leftover hose I'll let you know in detail. Either way I've never run into black gooey problems but it sure does sound like the fuel is degrading that hose.

On another note, are you close to the coast? I may be in your area someday for a surf adventure.
best
Aaron

John,
Someday if I'm in your region we could coordinate me bringing some hose, (and whatever else you need for that matter) down to you!
aaron

Aaron,
I´m 30 minutes away from the best surfing in the region. If I´m still here when you plan to come on through we should hook up. Let me know when as there may be a couple of things you could bring down for me.
Thanks,
John

hmmmmmmmmmmm this gets interesting.

I may be in Honduras for some enviro restoration work. I could head to ES after with my board.
PM me with your needs.
It would be March.
best
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom