serious help Needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All right, I got a 91, with 220K. bought it 2 months ago, the guy before me was not the best in taking care of it.

This happened once before.

I just got back from a 220 mile trip. When I have been idling for about 15-20 minutes or if traffic is very slow (maybe on long non stop driving), my truck begins to lose power and hesitate. It begins jerking and surging when I give it gas. When I take off from a stop, it completely siezes for a second then takes off, (with not much power).
If I let the enginge cool off and rest, it will start up and drive perfectly again.

The two things I am thinking it is:
One is the tranny. The reason I though of this is because, sometimes it will rev up and the RPM will rise, but the truck will not go forward. But I don't think this will account for all of the loss of power or the surging. But today, my truck was running fine, until I gave it gas to pass someone, then it started surging and losing power again. It almost didn't make it home, but after it cooled down, it started driving fine again.
I have checked the fluid, and it is full and the fluid looks good, but I have no idea how old it is. I have been planning to change the fluid, but have not done it yet.

The other thing is maybe a vapour lock. that would explaing the surging and lack of power. But I just did the whole seafoam thing in my gas and intake, (throught the pcv valve). So there shouldn't be any water vapour in there to cause it to lock up.

I think it has to do with some sort of heat related thing, but not sure what?
Any Ideas? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Kent,

1) Do a complete basic tune-up: plugs/wires, dizzy cap/rotor, air/fuel filter, etc (what have I missed?)

2) I'd suggest posting this on the 3FE yahoo group. Great place to diagnose trouble on the 88-92 3FE motor and A440F tranny.

3) I'm right there with ya: '91 with 224k.

Hang in there,

Curtis

I already did the full tune up except my o2 sensor, I don't know if the o2 sensor would cause this tho'

Thanks for the ideas

I posted on the yahoo group, maythey will have an idea.
Nobody here has had this issue? That does not make mefeel very good about my truck.

Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom