September POTM - FJ55TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I have wanted this Land Cruiser since I was very young. I mean this one because my father bought it when I was a year old. He bought it in Denver and I rode back with him in it back to Colorado Springs. That was in late 1975. I rode all around the country in it and into Mexico. It has pulled camping trailers, utility trailer, and has been over many four wheel drive roads all over the country. I always told him that I wanted it. He flatly refused. The good news is that it was not actually his but was in my mothers name, so when I was old enough to drive it was mine. Now the fun begins. My dad took good care of it, but when I got a hold of it there was 20 years of rust on it. I learned to drive in it and four wheel in it. I wanted to restore it but also wanted upgrade it as well. I have seen first hand the reliability of stock Toyota parts so I have used as few after market parts as possible. What I can not buy I make myself. The modification list is very long. I will not bore you all with the details, so here is a list:
Spring over with FJ60 axles, 4.88 Percision gears, and ARB lockers in both ends.
Dual Odyssey batteries with a Premier Power welder and 140 amp alternator.
FZJ80 5 row radiator eith dual electiric fans on individual thermostats.
Power steering from a mini-truck (soon to be upgraded to fj60 box)
Fuel injection from a 3F - still running my original F1.5.
Headers and custom exhaust. Gibson muffler and parts.
Snorkle with precleaner.
Front bumper - 5/16 steel 2x6 with two recievers that I put shackles in (handy for trailer backing too)
Front 12500 lb winch from a flat bed car hauler.
Was hoping to have the rear 12000 lb winch installed before this, but still not done.
Rear Bumper - 5/16 steel 2x6 that changes to 2x4 from rear corners to rear wheel wells.
Swing away tire carrier on bumper. Keep the high lift there also.
28 gallon gas tank with in tank fj62 fuel pump.
1976 4 speed with an Advance Adapters crawler box to an Orion transfer case with twin sticks.
Could not find a park brake cable long enough so I used a triple axle Mack dump truck clutch cable.
Converted the rust under the doors and tail gate to 5/16 2x6 rock sliders.
Has two 5" fog lights on front and both sides, two 10" driving lights on front, a rear fog light, and rock lights in front wheel wells.
Front brakes are Monster Calipers from TLC and rear brakes are Tundra front calipers. All rotors are cross drilled and vented.
Front shocks are remote resivior and all 4 are long travel.
Interior is in good shape. Put Nissan Altima bucket seats with a 12" Tuffy Console.
Put a Tonneau cover behind rear seat that secures to the sides in case of roll over. Camping stuff goes there.
Replaced the cargo side panels and tail gate panel with dimond plate. Built a door in the right cargo panel for storage.
Have a 12 speaker, 300 watt stereo system with a 6 disc cd changer. Cobra CB with weather channels.
I removed the vent under the center dash and added my own guage cluster and built a over head console also.
There is a bunch more, but I will stop there and post some pictures instead. The fitst one was in 1975 when my dad broght it home. Check out the shine on the original paint. The second one is at the Grand Canyon in around 1985. The third is camping at Hayden Creek, Colorado. I am the short one on the bumper.
lc1.jpg
lc10.jpg
lc12.jpg

Ok, fast forward to more recent stuff. The first one is quite funny. One of the local highschools in town has a car show every year. One of my friends graduated from there and still keeps in contact with his autoshop teacher who asked him if he knew any truck to add to the show. Well I took first place in the truck and suv class. The second is a little four wheel drive trail outside of town called Mount Baldy. Disappointing. Did not need 4wd. Oh well. The third is from Medano Pass going the the Sand Dunes National Monument.
car show 5-8-08 059.jpg
Mt. Baldy 6-28-09 004.jpg
mp22.jpg

That is a whole lot of change from how you knew the truck as a child! I like it both ways. Pretty bad-ass now, but I'm partial to the sage green... I love that color.

Nice write up and photos. I'm always curious to see interior pics, if you'd care to share some. How many miles on the original engine? How does dad feel about losing it?

Looks great! Can you post up some closer pics of your sliders?? Trying to get some ideas going for what I need to do. Great history to that rig!

I don't have a thread on the fuel injection but I will run through it. I inherited a 3f with a rod hanging out of the side of the block. It was complete including a wire harness and ecu. I had a non-usa carb and distributor with the electronic ignition but I thought it would be neat if I could put this fuel injection on it because I didn't like the throttle body of aftermarket units and I wanted to stick with Toyota parts. So the first thing I had to do was make an adapter plate for the intake plenum. The carb intake holes are square where as the injected holes have a cut out for the injector to spray down into the head. Using 3/8" aluminium plate and the use of my brother (he is a machinist) we made 3 adapter plates, one for each pair of intake runners. The head side of the adapter plates is the square hole and the intake side is tapered up to the injectors. I figured it would be easier to weld the plates to the intake instead of having another set of gaskets to leak over time, so I tig-ed them together. Machined them down to match the flange of the header and installed it. I didn't need all the vacuum lines and the egr so I blocked all that off. Made it real simple. I had to put the 3f distrubutor in because it has the crank/cam position signal for the ecu. I had to modify the wireharness a little bit and make some of my own. The ecu fits great behind the glove box. Just clears the wipers, but is high and dry. My cruiser, being a '73 had a charge light instead of an amp guage. Since I put the welder and high output alternator in I had to eliminate it anyway, so I turned it into the check engine light. The only other modification was to drill and tap the termostat housing for the temp signal and time switch for the cold start injector. So far it works great and averages 10-14 mpg with no change in idle speed with bumps and off camber trails like before.
Balloons 9-7-09 048.jpg

Here are some interior pictures as requested. I apologize for the dirty condition of the cruiser. We recently went camping and did some wheeling and I have not cleaned it yet. These are the rear under the tonneau cover. The drivers side has a pocket that I keep the tire pressure guage, air hose/chuck, and other small tools. The first aid kit is mounted behind that (the green box). All the boxes are my recovery equipment, jumper cables, some spare parts, ect. The right side has a door that has more spare parts, oil, coolant, brake fluid, gear oil, rags, and other stuff like that. Mounted under that is the four-way and chocks. There is also one of the fire extinguishers. The tonneau cover is held down by the four corners to eye hooks. In case of a roll over, all the stuff will not enter the passenger compartment. It is nice to put the rear seat down, put all the camping stuff on the top of the tonneau cover, roll out the sleeping bag, and camp. Plenty of room. I have even put the kids up there to sleep. When they were smaller, that is. By the way. You all may notice that I am missing the vent cover on the left side. I have been unable to find another, so if anyone has one that they want to part with, I am interested.
Balloons 9-7-09 045.jpg
Balloons 9-7-09 044.jpg
Balloons 9-7-09 046.jpg

Here is the dash. Complete with the lower dash that houses the guages, fan switches, and arb switches. The cd changer is under the glove box and the welder is under that mounted to the fire wall. The glove box door handle is machined from aluminium because the old one finally broke off. The cb is on the lower left of the steering column. The mag light is mounted beside that. The switches on the right side of the steering column are for the lights on the front bumper, the rear bumper, and the rock lights. The lev-o-guage is between the stock guages on top of the steering column. The over head console I built has three cubbies that are stock Toyota from various models. There are also switches for the lights on the top and both sides. The visors are from a first generation 4runner, although I still don't have a drivers side one yet. I had to use those ones because they mount to a flat surface and the stock ones mount to a sloped surface. The mirror is totally after market - how embarrasing.

The rock sliders are mounted to the body. They are 5/16" 2x6 steel box. The is 3/16" 10" x 10" angle welded behind it and tied into the floor. I had to rebuild the front body mounts and repair the floors. There is also a 2 1/2 gallon air tank on each side that I will one day make skid plates for, but the slider offer quite a bit of protection for them as is. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, it was dark. And raining.
Cruiser 001.jpg
Cruiser 002.jpg
Cruiser 003.jpg

There is about 220,000 miles on the original engine. My parents didn't drive it as a daily driver usually. It was the four wheeler, trailer puller (don't laugh), and used for general hualling. So the miles it has are hard miles, but it loves the work. My dad doesn't say much about it. He just looks at it. He now has a Ford Explorer. He still likes four wheeling, but every time he goes he comes back saying things like "the Land Cruiser could have cleared that rock" or "the Explorer does not go over stuff like the Land Cruiser did." Stuff like that. Duh!

I don't have a thread on the fuel injection but I will run through it. I inherited a 3f with a rod hanging out of the side of the block. It was complete including a wire harness and ecu. I had a non-usa carb and distributor with the electronic ignition but I thought it would be neat if I could put this fuel injection on it because I didn't like the throttle body of aftermarket units and I wanted to stick with Toyota parts. So the first thing I had to do was make an adapter plate for the intake plenum. The carb intake holes are square where as the injected holes have a cut out for the injector to spray down into the head. Using 3/8" aluminium plate and the use of my brother (he is a machinist) we made 3 adapter plates, one for each pair of intake runners. The head side of the adapter plates is the square hole and the intake side is tapered up to the injectors. I figured it would be easier to weld the plates to the intake instead of having another set of gaskets to leak over time, so I tig-ed them together. Machined them down to match the flange of the header and installed it. I didn't need all the vacuum lines and the egr so I blocked all that off. Made it real simple. I had to put the 3f distrubutor in because it has the crank/cam position signal for the ecu. I had to modify the wireharness a little bit and make some of my own. The ecu fits great behind the glove box. Just clears the wipers, but is high and dry. My cruiser, being a '73 had a charge light instead of an amp guage. Since I put the welder and high output alternator in I had to eliminate it anyway, so I turned it into the check engine light. The only other modification was to drill and tap the termostat housing for the temp signal and time switch for the cold start injector. So far it works great and averages 10-14 mpg with no change in idle speed with bumps and off camber trails like before.

Wow, very cool!

Do you have pictures of your adapter plate for the intake?

What PS pump are you running? Bracket?

What master cylinder are you running? Was it a bolt-on?

Here are some interior pictures as requested. I apologize for the dirty condition of the cruiser. We recently went camping and did some wheeling and I have not cleaned it yet. These are the rear under the tonneau cover. The drivers side has a pocket that I keep the tire pressure guage, air hose/chuck, and other small tools. The first aid kit is mounted behind that (the green box). All the boxes are my recovery equipment, jumper cables, some spare parts, ect. The right side has a door that has more spare parts, oil, coolant, brake fluid, gear oil, rags, and other stuff like that. Mounted under that is the four-way and chocks. There is also one of the fire extinguishers. The tonneau cover is held down by the four corners to eye hooks. In case of a roll over, all the stuff will not enter the passenger compartment. It is nice to put the rear seat down, put all the camping stuff on the top of the tonneau cover, roll out the sleeping bag, and camp. Plenty of room. I have even put the kids up there to sleep. When they were smaller, that is. By the way. You all may notice that I am missing the vent cover on the left side. I have been unable to find another, so if anyone has one that they want to part with, I am interested.

Ige (Nuclear Lemon) reproduced those vent covers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-classifieds-corner/225017-reproduction-interior-cargo-vent-grills.html

I took a picture of the adapter plate close up. Its hard to see since its actually installed, but here it is. The power steering pump, lines, and bracket are all from an FJ62. Simple and bolt on. Since I went with four wheel disk, I installed an FZJ80 brake master cylinder. Years ago my brake booster rusted out and I happened to have the big booster from a 1976. The two work well together but I did have to space the master cylinder out almost 3/8". There just was not that much adjustment on the booster shaft. I naturally run the rear brakes through a adjustable proportioning valve although the rear calipers being almost as large as front makes the proportioning valve adjusted all the way out or close. But it stops. Really well.
cruiser 001.jpg
cruiser 003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom