Sept Club Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes ... it is this coming Saturday

Have we settled on a location? I'm good for either RC or AAOA, just need to know.

Unfortunately I have not accomplished enough on the truck to make it Sat.

So it is now myself and Vince. Gary, you still coming?

Die hards only tomorrow ... Gary, Vince and myself at AOAA @ 8:30am. Sunny and 70*F tomorrow, last month before hunting season jacks up some trails. Y'all be missing out.

I just returned from a six day Vermont trip, and still have the 80 loaded on the trailer, but I am BEAT.

Next month for me.

Looks like a perfect day for wheeling tomorrow!

Yeah weather looks perfect. I'll be wearing a sweatshirt and hoodie for the ride to AAOA temp right now is 57 degrees!!!! Crusha glad you made it home OK bet your old rear is dragging................

Well we had a very good day on the trail, good weather, a little excitement, and were able to cover a lot of grounds with three trucks. I was trail leader, Vince in the middle and Chris tail gunning. We got registered and out of the parking lot by 9, it was really crowded mostly with side by sides, ATV's, and motorcycles. Saw a few jeeps but not many other full size vehicles.
We were headed to the culvert trail but were stopped by the gate across the main road. I keep forgetting about that.......so we took trail 21 across the bottom of the park and then did trail 9 in its entirety. I like that trail you get to look down onto route 901 at one point. From there we did several of the named trails in the area of the culvert trail, then did culvert. It was really dry today for some reason. From there we headed up and did Twister but not without incident. The last hard art is really gouged out and luckily my 40 fit between the big rock on the right and the bank on the left and I made it up. Vince didn't have as much luck, got stuck, and even with all four tires turning wasn't moving in either direction. So we dug out his winch controller, Chris grabbed his tree saver and a shackle, and I put Vince's winch in neutral and hauled the cable up to hook to the tree. Guess what Vince's winch was in operable! Damn. Chris wrapped Vince's cable around his bumper and secured it whole I turned the 40 around and got ready to winch him up. Got everything hooked up and just a good tug got him free. Got everything all put back where it belonged than stopped for a bite at the top of Twister. Thanks for the bagels Chris!
From there we did Barney Rubble, then up the rocky hill to trail 17. Ran 17 for quite awhile then jumped onto 12 where we saw a brand new Subaru Forester!!!! We took 12 up to where the warning signs are and I decided that we didn't have enough time to run the back end of 12 with the long loop.I figure that's at least an hour maybe closer to two.
So we headed back down 12 and took a bunch of smaller trails and did several rocky climbs that I may never have been on before. From there we headed up to the staging area then down the pole line where we spent a lot of time hitting all those tight trails down in that area- did 5, 5A, 6, 4, several #3 trails and 3A. There are a lot of trails down there and they're all tight. After that it was back to the staging area where we aired up. No waiting at the compressor lines although there were two jeeps there.
Unless Chris took a few shots during the winching of Vince's truck on twister there are no photos. With three trucks, no passengers, and little if no spotting needed we were moving steadily.
Mechanical issues? Chris front locker again did not function and then there is Vince's winch. He told me that one time recently when wheeling his winch didn't work and Andy M found a wire off under the hood. We looked but I couldn't see anything amiss. My ass was dragging after five hours of wheeling. Other than some minor traffic issues with smaller vehicles we had no trail congestion. Weather was fine- both Chris and Vince drove through some rain on their way up but I didn't see any drops anywhere. Was 57 degrees when I left the house and 68 when I went home. Wore my hoodie both on the drive up and on my ride home. And I might add I stopped for breakfast in Minersville at Myrtle May's and had a great omelet and hash browns. A few of us met there a few years ago and I can recommend it as a great place to start a day of wheeling. Must say, too, it was a great day weather wise.
On a side note my waiver had expired. The girl let me just sign but I'll need to update it online before I head to AAOA again. And it cost me $33 to wheel- a lot cheaper than Rausch. They also had people checking wrist bands and coolers as you exited the staging area I had never seen that happen before. The Western reserve was closed to full sized vehicles today for some event they were staging. They had four windows open for registration and the windows did not open until 8:30 sharp.
So much for the September club; run all in all a very good day.

Last edited:
Gary covered it all. So glad I was able to get out in perfect weather and before hunting season started. I will add that there was a section of the pipeline area that ATVs had turned into a hill climb. Intriguing, but passed with no front locker. Snapped just a few pics.

Beautiful scenery
20200912_093812[1].jpg

Stuck on Twister. It's a tight squeeze for the chubby 80's. The big rock he's dodging in on the pass side rear.
20200912_105435[1].jpg

The inclines never really translate in photos.
20200912_103801[1].jpg

20200912_114928[1].jpg

@VBRoamer - check the connections under the rubber boots on the winch. I had a time where mine stopped working and it was just a rusted connection under the boot.

Great day. Thanks to Gary for leading and being on point with winching technique. We covered a bunch of ground. Always nice to spend the day behind my personal trail guide and spirit animal Vince as well. I def need to get that locker looked at, in fact, after Twister the rear locker never came back on either. Maybe an electrical issue?

Glad you all had a good time, weather was perfect!
I feel you guys always have to pull line at AOAA, this is the reason I told Andy M. I am not going back to AOAA without a working winch and 35s lol.

On a side note as to why I didn't make it:
I think I located the source of my electrical issue to a possible faulty alternator.
I double checked all the wiring in all the areas we cut and welded and all was good, and all grounds checked out fine.

After I got the truck jumped I started with checking the output on the alternator and found it was only at 12.5-12.8V at idle and off idle. On a flat battery I feel I should be bumped up closer to 14V.
I swapped with the alternator in my brown 4Runner that bumped it back up to a steady 13.0-13.2 at idle and up to 13.8-14 off idle. It seems to be doing okay. I have been chancing it by running errands with the truck and it hasn't skipped a beat starting.

I think ultimately it was the alternator not being able to charge the battery and run the truck and it was just slowly depleting.

Nope ... most of the Jeeps we saw, maybe 5-6 of them were very stockish looking rigs. That pic looks so wet, not even sure where that would be, we didn't see spots that looked that swampy. We did each go through one deep spot that was maybe slider high. Gary yelled back to keep moving and we both made it through behind him no problem.

That Jeep must be on Excelsior Swamp trail.

i find it hard to believe that three winches could not extract it.

While checking out, I hauled out my annual pass and waved at the guys. One of them noticed it was actually a 2019 pass but then he waved me on because the two guys ahead of me had passes. Thanks, Gary and Chris for running point for me.

Otherwise, it was a great day. Great weather, no bugs, cool breezes but especially, great company. And all the help a person could want in this Covid-19 world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom