Selectro Hubs??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While Selectros aren't the ultimate lockout hub they are strong enough that I have twisted the coarse splines off of a few birfs with the ones on my '74...

Here you go. Just like new. All three of them have not been installed, AFAIK. Fit fine spline cruisres only. They are for sale. $75
selectros.jpg

Bump to the top, still curious about the swap question I had in post #19, any wisdom on this. I assume I could do it, just need a confirmation.

just got a 74 fj40 with selectro front lockers going to repack bearings any advice would be appreciated please send any help to gpjqevans@aol.com cause im not so good at navagating sites like this one but it is the best i've seen out there thanks gregg

dualmatic 10

I just got a 77 fj, have a selectro AND a dualmatic hub. Posted bout it today: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/538657-what-hub.html

Was looking through the forum and saw the hub referenced in this thread earlier, it is a dualmatic 10. apparently the jeep/willy versions are pretty soughtafter. maybe the same for old fj ones..i saw this while researching my dualmatic hub today.

Dualmatic Hubs - The CJ2A Page Forums
The CJ-3A Page - Original 10 spline Dualmatic Locking hubs!!

My 78 Has one each

One aisan one selectro go figure, over here I think the aisan will be easier to find. Lee

I have the selectro hubs on my 77....love them! especially when its 20 below and ice and snow are packed around the hub. its alot easier to turn the whole outside of the hub to engage rather than picking out ice to get my gorilla fingers in there to turn a warn hub!
JMO.....

IIRC, Selectro hubs were produced and sold by a company called Husky out of Longmont Colorado in the 70s and early 80s. The Selectro hubs were an alternative to Warn Hubs and were pretty well made. I had a set on my 48 CJ 2A I bought while in high school, along with a Husky soft top that had clear vinyl windows in the roof. Husky made pretty good stuff for Jeeps. I could be wrong but I think they made locking hubs for Scouts, FJ-40s, Bronco etc. Your Selectro hubs look exactly like mine on my CJ 2. Selectro hubs were also sold by Sears during that time period and I think they were sold as Sears locking hubs instead of Selectro, but I might be wrong on that. I don't know if Husky actually manufactured the hubs or were the middle man for some other manufacturer. I know the hubs were well built, and easy to lock and unlock in all conditions.

Whatever happened to the Husky company, I don't know if they were bought out or just went out of business. They were a good company and sold quality aftermarket stuff for Jeeps and other 4x4s made during that time period.

I bought an FJ40 and with it new in the box was a set of DUALMATIC SELECTIVE DRIVE HUBS from DUALMATIC PRODUCTS COMPANY -
Longmont, Colo. They look just like Selectromatics.

Do we have a mystery here

Now that you bring this up, I think the Husky Selectro hubs were made by Dualmatic and sold through various vendors.

Interesting old thread. Husky made some real crap hubs in the early sixties. These were offered thru Toyota to their dealers as was a husky soft top. During the seventies the design changed to what this thread is about. My 73 has the selectro hubs. I bought a 70 that has what I believe has the same hub but with the husky name not selectro or any of the others. This hubs will work with the later style hub caps. They fit under the cap just fine. PO said he removed the hub caps when four wheeling so he saw no need to buy hub caps with the holes. I do have another sets of late model fine spline lockout hubs with the outside handle made by Fairey as in Fairey overdrives. Handle is harder to grip but since I've never had them apart don't know how well they are made.

I have the selectros on my 72 40 and I have seen some on the front of a 2 1/2 ton rockwell rig once.

I’m late to the party but here is a partial shot of the selectors on my 1972.

I had 4 but I had to rebuild two out of the four
I have two other sets of locking hubs from warm I will use when these end up exploding.

3575AD32-990C-4C34-B3E5-47E1342A2A8C.jpeg

Found this thread today after noticing, for the first time in 2 1/2 years, that my 1979 FJ40 has these selectro locking hubs. I had just put a new set of Ion wheels on the car last week and after taking the front wheel off to get some pictures of my oddball front end for Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters I went to install the center caps. I had cut out the center the same way I did for the Warn hubs on my '70 that had come with drive plates and I converted to locking hubs. No way were these going over this huge, leaking, hub. From what I have been able to find, which isn't much, it sounds like the Selectro hubs were only available in the coarse spline (like my '70). This non-USA FJ40 has FJ45 larger diameter and wider drums on the front, regular on the rear.

DSCN6471.JPG

DSCN2080 - Version 7.jpg

Reviving an old thread here. I will be replacing the Selectro locking hubs with a pair of Warn 30 spline. (1977 front axel) Question: Do I need to source cone washers? I'm not sure if the Selectro hubs have them and I'm not sure if the Warn kit includes any. Is there any other additional hardware that I should get?
Thanks.

When I bought my 78 I was first going to buy on in Casper, WY and that one had Selctro hubs, but the dealer wanted to much so I flew to Cheyenne and bought mine and it had Warn hubs. The dealer did a poor job of installing them and the gasket one one hub was torn and sticking out under the dial. Water got into the springs and was hard to turn and used the Toyota crescent wrench to turn it. When I was in College I bought a new set and didn't have any more issues.

Dad had a 67 IH 1/2 ton pick up that had Selectro hubs on it and never had an issue with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom