Securing objects in the trunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all,

I’ve searched around a bit but couldn’t find the words to narrow down what I needed.

I’m looking for a solution to secure large objects in the back of my LX 570. Such as Plano camping totes, generic coolers, etc. I’m using ratchet straps now but I’m not in love with the ones I’m using. I also have water coolers sometimes that don’t exactly tie down well with those. Finally, fire extinguisher.

Also. Anyone know what strap he is using at 18:00?

just a thought, try cam lock straps instead of ratchet straps. for the water cooler i'd suggest one of those spiderweb looking tie down nets in conjunction with cam lock straps. re: fire putter outer, you should be able to find vehicle mounting brackets specific to your extinguisher. that strap he's using to my eye looks like a normal ratchet strap with shielding on it

Thanks for that. I have some camlock straps but I just don’t think I know how to properly use them. I’ll look into it bc they’d be definitely easier. Thanks for the help in my searching !

Don't know if this helps but I pulled the 3rd row from my GX460 and put a cut-to-shape piece of 1/2" plywood on the floor and secured it to the 3rd row mounting holes and then installed d-rings into the plywood. I have my fridge strapped down as well as a Plano box for recovery gear using camlock straps. Nothing moves.

Don't know if this helps but I pulled the 3rd row from my GX460 and put a cut-to-shape piece of 1/2" plywood on the floor and secured it to the 3rd row mounting holes and then installed d-rings into the plywood. I have my fridge strapped down as well as a Plano box for recovery gear using camlock straps. Nothing moves.
That’s a great idea! Picture?

Howdy all,

I’ve searched around a bit but couldn’t find the words to narrow down what I needed.

I’m looking for a solution to secure large objects in the back of my LX 570. Such as Plano camping totes, generic coolers, etc. I’m using ratchet straps now but I’m not in love with the ones I’m using. I also have water coolers sometimes that don’t exactly tie down well with those. Finally, fire extinguisher.

Also. Anyone know what strap he is using at 18:00?

Those straps are called Strachits

That’s a great idea! Picture?
Will get a pic shortly. I should also add that I put the carpet back on top of the plywood and I'm using a 12"x24" piece of HDPE under the fridge so it can "breathe" (actually I was going to build my own slide out tray and then decided just to leave it fixed since I can't open the rear door with my square drop camper attached). So it's hard to see in a pic what's going on.

Here are some pics......as you can see in the last pic, the carpet doesn't make it all the way to the seats but no one sees that anyway. And the aux battery and my solar charger controller are screwed into the plywood as well.

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Airline L track bolted to plywood which has to be bolted to the floor. If you buy the proper one it is actually load rated. Used alot in handicap access vans and school buses. Us cargo control sells it as well as straps. You can find cheaper l track and the different attachment buckles on amazon and ebay. Just may not be as strong. I am a big tie down afficionado since I pull an open deck trailer for a living.

If you want custom load rated straps. Autohaulersupply.com truckandtow.com uscargocontrol.com. 1 inch ratched straps or lashing straps should do.

YOu can also do the plywood and D rings idea mentioned. used proper hardware. I would use T nuts on the back of the plywood with bolts just long enough to go through it so that you have a flush bottom.

Also look into rok straps from the motorcycle world. They are half elastic and half nylon. They work great for odd shaped items or things that settle since you can tighten them and at the item moves the elastic picks up the slack and keeps them tight.

Last edited:
I did L-track on my drawers. Works pretty well.

View attachment 3293624

View attachment 3293625
Much more elegant than mine... I used T-Nutz with threaded eye bolts on my old cargo box from my FJ55, pretty useful. I should upgrade though. Also on my FJ55 I installed a bunch of threaded eye bolts using these U-Nutz along the side panels in place of the little clips. They're pretty sturdy. Also, don't forget that you can use those idle seatbelts for securing some stuff, too.

U-Nut.jpg

Prongzzz.jpeg

\DEEZ NUTZ/

The most elegant, albeit pricey solution would probably be something like this:

I like the cam lock straps. I use them to attach my fridge to the slide etc. I would never attach 10 pieces of 2x6x10 pressure treated to the roof with them or anything, you have to work within their limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom