secondary inline fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased my second FJ40 - a '77 (not diesel). i'm replacing the fuel lines due to a slight gas odor in the cabin and as a precautionary measure. I noticed a secondary fuel filter in the cabin, just behind the gas tank, on a a fuel line coming from the top of the separator. The filter looks like its after market but has the OEM spring-style fuel line clamps.

is that filter OEM? necessary? a good idea? thanks,

If it's a stock component, its not a fuel filter but a $60 check valve.

There's only supposed to be fumes in that line.

Regarding fumes, is it possible the previous owner altered some of the evaporative emissions control devices?

You may also want to take a look at the gasket under the fuel sending unit flange.

If it's a stock component, its not a fuel filter but a $60 check valve.

There's only supposed to be fumes in that line.

Regarding fumes, is it possible the previous owner altered some of the evaporative emissions control devices?

You may also want to take a look at the gasket under the fuel sending unit flange.
excellent - thanks. makes perfect sense now that you point out that is NOT a fuel line coming from the separator. i bought a replacement check valve and will install this weekend. on the fumes, i read that the 1/2" fuel recovery line from the tank back to the fuel filler is the first to deteriorate..and when it does, fumes do escape. i replaced mine and it seemed to clear up the fumes/smell. while i'm in there, i will replace that sending unit gasket too. thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom