Seatbelt mount rusted away (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m about to get into the same issue, have read several posts and think I have a plan. Did you complete this repair?
What gauge sheet metal did you use?
Where did you find replacement seatbelt mount plates for this or did you just buy generic from auto parts store?

Any help would be appreciated
Sorry I'm late to reply. My friend is a really good welder, he measured the thickness with calipers and used the same gauge sheet metal, I cut all the rust out myself. I used a seat-belt mounting bracket from a yj, fits the thread and pitch of the factory landcruiser bolt. Painted the inside to match the color, on the underside exposed to the wheel well I used 2 part epoxy primer and rustoleum truck bed liner. Mine has rusted through the seam of the inner and outer wheel well, I used auto body sealer to fill that in before putting on the primer and truck bed liner. So far it's hold up, very solid.

Dang! Yeah, looks like 3 folks had the exact same issue I think I'll head out and see if mine looks okay now. Looks like @Soju cut out a repair patch from another cruiser, but good to know there are other options out there.

Sorry I'm late to reply. My friend is a really good welder, he measured the thickness with calipers and used the same gauge sheet metal, I cut all the rust out myself. I used a seat-belt mounting bracket from a yj, fits the thread and pitch of the factory landcruiser bolt. Painted the inside to match the color, on the underside exposed to the wheel well I used 2 part epoxy primer and rustoleum truck bed liner. Mine has rusted through the seam of the inner and outer wheel well, I used auto body sealer to fill that in before putting on the primer and truck bed liner. So far it's hold up, very solid.
Thanks for the reply.
I started with this:
1705977448597.jpeg

And after cutting back to good metal I was left with this:
1705977509504.jpeg

Used a nibbler attached to my drill. First time getting into something like this( yeah I know it probably looks like 💩)
The part of the remaining wheel well that attaches to the body still looks rusted to me. I took out some but afraid to cut it all since I’m not sure if can be effectively repaired.
1705977720133.jpeg

Anyway, appreciate everyone’s experience and info.

I’ll check out the mounts you mentioned and good to know about the Bed liner. I was wondering if I should reapply or not since this rust was covered by a similar product initially and may have been involved in the rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom