Seatbelt bar/ Bucket seats ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to swap out the tired seats in my 40 with some proper bucket seats. I would also like to put in a Seatbelt bar across the back of them for a 5 point harness. My delima is that I don't want to make it impossible for any normal size human to get into the backseat with a bar going from side to side. I don't have any plans anytime soon to take the hardtop off or else they could just climb in from the side.

Has anyone come up with any clever design for this? Also I think my 69 fj40 came with a bench seat but now has some 40 series "Bucket" seats in that are on a hinged mount to access the toolbox on the driver's side. Can I simply bolt in the new sliders onto this mount?

Isn't really a way to make a bar that wouldn't make it a pain to get in the back
You could do two short ones on either side with it open in the middle So the side bars would be a h shape

Isn't really a way to make a bar that wouldn't make it a pain to get in the back
You could do two short ones on either side with it open in the middle So the side bars would be a h shape
I was thinking about this. That would take what little leg room there already is in the back seat haha. I'm looking at jeep stuff right now and looks like most people either have a bikini top or no backseats at all

Is there any universal slider mounts for masercrafts that I can bolt in with minor fab work? Everyone says to custom fab them but I'm not sure if they mean for a roll cage that I don't have. Do all bucket seats mount universally(ex. corbearu sliders working with masercraft seats)? I have a hinged mount for the tool box I'm not sure if it's a stock mount or not but I would like to just bolt something on.

I think 5 point harnesses are generally used for racing, but I could be wrong. I replaced the stock belts with the 4 point harnesses. The lap section attaches using the original bolts for the lap belt. For the shoulder straps, I attached them to the underside metal cross members of the seat itself. Since I don't drag race my 40 (ha ha), I really only use the shoulder harness to keep me planted in the seat when offroad. Disclaimer: I don't know what would happen if I ran into something at my top (comfortable) speed of 50-55 mph. I'd probably eat my stock steering wheel. I thought about installing a bar or drilling into the floor, but decided against both.

I don't think having the shoulder harness attached to the seat base is a good idea Seats where not designed to support a seat belt and the belt will just tear through the seat compressing your spine in a frontal collision you might be better with just a lap belt
Yes your cruiser may only do 50 comfortably
But what about the guy doing 70 that loses control and hits you
Both the the belt manufactures and race sanctioning association's specify a mounting point max of 4 inches below shoulders

I havr 4 pts in our Shelby cobra replica they are a pita for regular use but super nice for the occasional track day. Lots of people with jeeps & fjs secure the top mounts pretty high but for the harness to work as designed it should push you down into the seat. Ie 6" or so below the top of the seat.

Yeah I think I'm going to stick with the lap belts for now untill I get a propper cage and then I'll do the harnesses the right way.

Both the the belt manufactures and race sanctioning association's specify a mounting point max of 4 inches below shoulders

All very valid points, and you are absolutely right about how I installed them. So no one do what I did :slap:. But as I said, I only use the shoulder harness to keep me planted in the seat when offroad. When driving on the road, I use the lap belt only. I'm looking to replace my stock seats and when I do I will install the shoulder straps properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom