Search got me confused (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I've read the FAQ's and did various searches on the subject, but I'm not certain I've come to a conclusion......

The question is: On my 99 LX, what transmission fluid should be used in a change? I found opinions on both Dextron III and Toyota Type T-IV (and various synthetics, which I probably won't use on my 102,000 mile tranny). Some said on 98-99's, Dextron III was/should be used, and others said only Toyota T-IV should be used.

While I'm comfortable with the change procedure, I want to know what came in this tranny from the factory so I can replace it with the same fluid....

Yours originally came with dextron III.
T4 wasn't until 03, and 04 was the introduction of World Standard (100,000 mile)
:grinpimp:

So if I understand you correctly, I should drain and refill with Dextron III, not the Type T-IV, right? Anyone feel differently about this?

I plan to do the drain / refill this week and I want to make sure I'm not about to screw anything up......

It is my understanding that as long as you use the minimally required type then you are fine i.e. it is OK to use Type IV in a vehicle needing III and on down the line. Is this what others have been told?

TSB 9/10/99

Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T-IV now replaces Type TII fluid. Use Type T-IV for all applications that specify ATF Type TII.

Please refer to the following table for the interchangeability between each ATF.
fluid2.gif

Mobil has a help line that is very good 1-800-662-4525, ext 3. They have a manufacturers recommendations list for every fluid in the vehicle and they know their stuff.
I am going to do a change soon and plan to use this:
98HD04 MOBIL OIL, Standards- GM Dexron III H SpecificatioN

Scott

Something to think about. Personally I will only put in what the manual calls for.
Synthetic in Engines, diffs, and t-cases is fine(Gears and Bearings), but I am leary about putting them in an auto with fiberous clutch plates. The material on those plates is designed around the recommended fluid. I know that TIV is more slippery than Dex. I know that if you put dex in a TIV trans is shifts horrible and it takes a little while to show up. Don't have much experience with putting TIV in a Dex transmission. :confused:

Other previous related experience - 95 4runner calls for dex 2, dex 3 replaced dex 2 so you couldn't get dex 2 anymore. If trans is put under extreme circumstances (towing, mountain driving) the trans would overheat and blow fluid out the dipstick. The fix for these customers was to track down a dex 2 equivalent (nissanmatic type d) and flush trans. After repair truck was driven the same way and problem was fixed.

For my own truck I don't even think I would put the dex 3 with the H. Again only becaused when that trans was engineered so it may not play nice with the clutch plates. If you're worried about contamination change the fluid every 15k - it will stay pink forever (unless your abusing it :grinpimp: )

again my .02, ben

I put amsoil in mine. Seems to work good.

BC

Responding to LexusBen's comment's -

I wouldn't hesitate to put Dex III in the tranny when only Dex II is called for. I have never before heard of problems with Dex III at all because they are totally backward compatible. I would not put in the T-IV as the Toyota TSB chart Hoser posted obviously advises against it.

I am running Amsoil with no problems. (they recommend it to replace both Dex II/III and T-IV for what thats worth).

Interesting about the T-IV, I had heard that is was backwards compatible with Dex III and if you couldn't get T-IV, Dex III would do, but may be a bit clunkier and shift poorly, especially when cold. I would like some more info on this though, not just heresay.

Have run bolth in the ole fj55-100 which has a 01 lx470 trans , with almost no difference in how it feels ,
currently it has dex 3 in it , but the last service before got t-IV, cause thats what i had the most of on the bench at the time ,

fj55-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom