scored birfields, is that bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I noticed some score marks on my birfields . Right around the center as I turn the wheel all the way to one side and expose the big sphere . There are actually a few score lines , all running parallel horizonally, just deep enough to catch my fingernail when I scrape it down the center.
Are the birfields supposed to be smooth?
The truck steers fine with no noise that I can tell.

Thanks

Are you talking about the housing? Or did you dissasemble your hub?

No, I did not disassemble anything yet. I just crawled under the truck and checked for oil leaks and the integrity of the felt seal around knuckle.
I have been reading Moses Ludel's book 'Toyota Trucks and Land Cruisers' to try and pick up some tips on preventive maintenance. While I was looking for the plug to put grease into the knuckle I noticed the scoring. I wiped away some excess grease that accumulates on the knuckle to get a better look. It was pretty gritty feeling grease, so I imagine it cant be doing too much good. I smeared a thin film of fresh grease on the knuckle. Do you think that will probably just end up attracting alot of road dust.

The housings from the factory have very small groves in them but I would not consider it "scoring". The intent is to let a small amount of grease escape the knuckle to provide the wiper seals with a small amount lubrication. Adding grease to the outside does nothing except trap dirt and create a bigger mess.

Is this relatively uniform scoring, or are you talking about a single deep scratch that's not replicated anywhere else on the sphere? There is a texture from machining on this surface. I'd be surprised if you have a score from wear simply because there's really no way for a rock to be held in place by the wiper for an extended period because of the design - it would get wedged briefly and then be worked back out just like an eye lid works.

Doug

Hey Doug - you're really into this eye lid thing. ;)
It's showing up in threads all over.

It's a good analogy. :cheers:

R

thread hijack in progress -

I recently saw an 80 on ebay described as having rock chips on the rear eyebrows.

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=7498;start=msg62836#msg62836 date=1068773284]
thread hijack in progress -

I recently saw an 80 on ebay described as having rock chips on the rear eyebrows.

[/quote]

my first laugh on this board today -- !!

::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom