scored birfields, is that bad?

Visit site
Hello all,

I noticed some score marks on my birfields . Right around the center as I turn the wheel all the way to one side and expose the big sphere . There are actually a few score lines , all running parallel horizonally, just deep enough to catch my fingernail when I scrape it down the center.
Are the birfields supposed to be smooth?
The truck steers fine with no noise that I can tell.

Thanks

Visit site
No, I did not disassemble anything yet. I just crawled under the truck and checked for oil leaks and the integrity of the felt seal around knuckle.
I have been reading Moses Ludel's book 'Toyota Trucks and Land Cruisers' to try and pick up some tips on preventive maintenance. While I was looking for the plug to put grease into the knuckle I noticed the scoring. I wiped away some excess grease that accumulates on the knuckle to get a better look. It was pretty gritty feeling grease, so I imagine it cant be doing too much good. I smeared a thin film of fresh grease on the knuckle. Do you think that will probably just end up attracting alot of road dust.

ppc

M Go Blue
Visit site
The housings from the factory have very small groves in them but I would not consider it "scoring". The intent is to let a small amount of grease escape the knuckle to provide the wiper seals with a small amount lubrication. Adding grease to the outside does nothing except trap dirt and create a bigger mess.

Visit site
Is this relatively uniform scoring, or are you talking about a single deep scratch that's not replicated anywhere else on the sphere? There is a texture from machining on this surface. I'd be surprised if you have a score from wear simply because there's really no way for a rock to be held in place by the wiper for an extended period because of the design - it would get wedged briefly and then be worked back out just like an eye lid works.

Doug

Visit site
[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=7498;start=msg62836#msg62836 date=1068773284]
thread hijack in progress -

I recently saw an 80 on ebay described as having rock chips on the rear eyebrows.

[/quote]

my first laugh on this board today -- !!

::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom