School me plz on Buddy Heaters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going LNT camping next weekend, may need alternate to wood fire. I may try sleeping in the FJC for the first time.
SWM ISO info and advice.
Ooops. Having a TLA attack,,,,,,,,,
......(three letter acronyms)

I have the small catalytic heater, made by Coleman. It is considered a tent heater. I have the one without a fan. Although it says you can use it in a tent (no flame to put off CO) I am never fully comfortable doing it. I have, however, fallen asleep with it on all night (twice) and woke up each time. :) That is the only size I would consider for a tent or inside a vehicle.
I also have the Mr. buddy that uses one canister. It puts off way too much heat for a small area but is great for a cabin or camper. I have used it in a pop-up and an unheated 12x16 cabin. Ran all night with no issues. Both had CO detectors and neither set them off.

Old school was to get one of the candle lanterns and run them. They put off a significant amount of heat and are relatively safe (other than the open flame).

If I were you, I would look at the smaller Coleman over the buddy heater. They work great and for the money, can't be beat.

We have that same little Coleman and have used it for years. Any propane generated heat source in a tent is going to scare you a little, or at least it should.

I may try sleeping in the FJC for the first time.

Hey Bill, long time. I removed the back seats in our FJC and had a platform right up to the back of the front seats. We had Corbeau seats that tilted all the way forward. Heather and I slept in the truck a couple times, pillows propped up a bit on the seats. I am 6'3" and she is 6' and it was comfortable.

I sleep with Buddy Heater on all night inside my tent. The only issue is when the propane runs out and I get cold. I do have a co2 battery sensor, but has never gone off. Buddy Heaters are safe for indoors, but need oxygen, so low oxygen sensor is built in and will shut it off.

I have a buddy heater I have used at black balsam several times now. Works like a champ but I agree they put off alot of heat. I just crack my windows. Finding somewhere to put it seems to be a challenge for me.

OK thanks everyone. I have used the little Coleman propane ceramic and it works fine. I'll probably just grab one of those since that's my cook fuel as well. I have 110V onboard 400W idling but the truck heater would work fine then LOL.
Plus I now have a dog.

A candle lantern was perfect back in the day. One man Sierra Designs tent, down bag.
Ah for the days of motorcycle camping when my gear all went in two satchels and a helmet size bag.

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a Mr Buddy Portable model.
We were in high cold Friday night, I'm guessing maybe the teens up there. I had to leave a door open for the dog to come in and out and the darn thing still was more than I needed to leave running when I slept.
Note well: These are not easy to find at this time. I checked two WalMarts before I left and both were sold out and not going to restock. (and the same story for the little Coleman one.)
God bless Bryan and Marshall for sidelining our ride to Georgia holding up six trucks to find me one in Seneca. Tractor Supply was out too. I think I got the last one at ACE Hardware.
I had a three man summer tent with mesh ceiling and even so I think with the doors closed it would easily have kept it well above 50 in there.
Just leaving it on pilot would probably keep a medium tent comfy if it was above freezing or still in the night.
So thanks again all, I didn't have access to my normal camping gear so I was sleeping with a fleece blanket and a futon LOL. When in North Georgia do it casual style.
Thanks again to the Georgia Traverse Groundhog Trip for making it happen that I actually got to make this product report. And survive Friday night reasonably comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom