School me on kdss (potential purchase) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member here, I was directed to this forum from the 4runner guys.

In the past I had a modified 06 v8 4runner, so I'm familiar with the platform. I'm back in the market for one and have come across a very nice 2006gx. It has 242k. The air has been deleted, and it's up to date on maintenance.

I've done a little research but need additional input. Please explain the kdss system. It has the knob on the console for the comfort or sport. From what I gather, the knob has nothing to do with the kdss. Correct? Since the air bag system has been removed and traditional coils installed does this mean the ride is not a plush as factory? It does not have a lift and had not been modified in any way outside of coil springs. If the previous owner has installed coil springs does this mean the kdss system could still be functioning?

Lastly, assuming this is a clean rig (going to see it tomorrow), with no rust. What should I expect to pay? It has nav, DVD, and 3rd row. Seller says he's firm at $6800. I realize these engines can go 500+ without issue but I do know the maintenance items that arose on my 4runner as it approached 200k. (Leaky PS, tie rods, rack, bushings, ect)

Thanks for your help

The kdss has nothing to do with the knob. It is an electronic sway bar system that helps on road handling and off road articulation. As far as the ride being plush, it depends on the set up they installed. You’ll have to drive it but losing the air bags is not as bad as lots fear it may be. It’s a Toyota at its core, the chances the kdss still work are very high. Price seems pretty in line with mileage and I’d expect worse than average interior wear but you never know.
get the vin create an account and do the drivers.lexus.com thing. Should show you some maintenance at least. Pre purchase inspection always recommend as well.
if I’ve gotten anything wrong someone will chime in (please)

KDSS is a system that allows you to have the best of both worlds in regards to a stabilizer bar. it allows more flex by a couple inches over the non KDSS. and is much stiffer on road.

unless you're going with long travel or a huge lift... it's a positive

KDSS does have its benefits, however be mindful if you plan on getting sliders are the KDSS components may get in the way if you inadvertently get a slider designed for non-KDSS GXs.

KDSS is not good for high speed desert style pre running. It will over heat the fluid or rip the mount. This is one of the main reason TRD Pro 4runner cannot be had with KDSS. If you want to do pre-running or hard core off roading then skip KDSS.

On the other hand its awesome suspension system that give me very very good ballance between road and off road handling. I used to own lifted 100 series LC and got rid of it because I hate the handling. I got the itch to off road again and when ARB come out with BP-51 i was set to find the cheapest platform that can use that suspension. After I got my mine i was actually very surprised it still handle very well with 160K miles OEM suspension. I end up with much cheaper suspension system and still very happy with it.

The way KDSS works is it would lock the swaybar hydraulic over a certain speed. Off road / low speed it open the passage that connect front and rear KDSS cylinder. Since hydraulic are not compressible it force balance between front and rear articulation. This result in much better front articulation and balance compared to non KDSS equipped vehicle.

Good to know about the kdss limitations on long desert runs. I didn’t know that prolonged runs on washboard roads could overheat the kdss.

Then again, prolonged runs on washboard roads can loosen all kinds of bolts and break all kinds of brackets. So, kdss is not the only thing that can go wrong.

Don't want to start another thread, but have an unrelated topic to my original question.

I'm looking at 2 different 06s. They both have DVD. One drops down from ceiling and one is built into headrest. Are these both factory options?

Also how involved is a DIY dash replacement on these?

Last edited:
I have a 2004 GX470 with KDSS. I have a 3 inch Dobinson lift and it is my understanding that 3 inch lift is the maximum you can go with KDSS, but that is all I want amyway. As previous posters have said, make sure sliders and armor is KDSS compatible.

I have a 2004 GX470 with KDSS. I have a 3 inch Dobinson lift and it is my understanding that 3 inch lift is the maximum you can go with KDSS, but that is all I want amyway. As previous posters have said, make sure sliders and armor is KDSS compatible.
I don't think that's a limit of KDSS but more the stock control arms/cv axles. only 4+" lifts I've seen are either Long Travel, or drop bracket lifts (haven't seen them for the GX but Tacomas, Runners, etc)

I don't think that's a limit of KDSS but more the stock control arms/cv axles. only 4+" lifts I've seen are either Long Travel, or drop bracket lifts (haven't seen them for the GX but Tacomas, Runners, etc)

Thank you for the correct information All I know is that I was told going above 3" is mucho Dinero

I'm looking at 2 different 06s. They both have DVD. One drops down from ceiling and one is built into headrest. Are these both factory options?

you would have to run the vin and check, both types were available in different regions. it could have also been a deraler add on so that's a possibility as well

3” lift is a limit of the KDSS. The KDSS piston only extends so far. To go long travel one would have to rip the whole KDSS system out.

Kdss system is a hydraiulic plumbing system that, on road, maintains sway bar stiffness (and KDSS sway bars are WAY larger than non-kdss anti-roll bars) with same axle articulation (i.e front or rear wheels travelling together) and significantly reduces body roll in on-pavement driving. Off-road, with same axle wheels articulating differently, or more precisely opposite corners in tandem (think off camber), there is increased articulation as the sway bar is hydraulically actuated to press the drooping wheel down as the opposite wheel goes up to maximize traction through increased articulation. You'll see it read that its like a disconnected sway bar but that's inaccurate as the system actually presses the drooping wheel, rather than just gravity and spring extension.

it allows better on road handling and increased.off road articulation when compared to a non-kdss comparison. As mentioned above, skids and sliders require more research but can all be had. You're limited in lifts, so if you're expecting to do a long travel setup kdss is not the best way to go, BUT 2" and even up to 3" lifts are doable (when accounting for other details like control arms and brake lines, for example).

good luck! Having had a V8 4th gen 4r, You've got some experience but there are a lot of other differences between the 4r and the GX 🤘😈🤘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom