Scepter Water Can Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm making up some racks and my can is delayed in shipping. Does anyone have a scepter 20L water can they can measure to get me the below dims? I'm trying to make my bracket a relatively tight fit so when they are racked the water cap can't be removed.

1586061835131.png

I measured A=3" B=19" C=7 1/4" D= 14"

I turn mine around. Seriously, if you use the wrench no one is turning the cap by hand.
I’ve considered a steel sheet along the back to deflect thieves, but it’s just as fast to drill through
the steel as the plastic, which is my biggest fear

5C3C1DE8-5D6B-4A54-8804-F260421F569B.jpeg

I'm assuming the OP is more concerned with no one tampering with his potable water, rather than just theft.
Sad, but there are a lot of a$$h0les out there....

Actually just occurred to me, look up Front Runner stuff, I think they make a fuel can rack
with a steel component that hinges to cover the caps. It's quite effective, might be worth a look.

Pricey...

Pricey...

Politely put, anything in the ‘overland’ trade costs more. I tend to make my own stuff, but
the idea is right. Stupid simple to make.

Well here is the finished product minus paint (my least favorite part). Since a lot of the off the shelf can mounts were expensive I figured I'd make my own, but spend some of the $$ saved to make them just how I wanted. As roalco mentioned I wanted to keep the fit tight enough that no one could steal or mess with the water jugs. If they drill a hole in the can...they can have it at that point. These fit the scepter as well as the wavian fuel cans. The boxed section up top is tight enough that when the cans are in place the top and ports on the scepter can't be removed and the pin wont come out of the fuel cans. The plan is to run a cable lock though the can handle and the mount so the cans are locked in when needed.

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

If you expand the pic on mine you’ll see a padlock. I have a 1/2” SS tube with bolt on
the one end, and it passes through the handles and the lock can’t be cut since if
they do it won’t come around the bend to come off.

Well here is the finished product minus paint (my least favorite part). Since a lot of the off the shelf can mounts were expensive I figured I'd make my own, but spend some of the $$ saved to make them just how I wanted. As roalco mentioned I wanted to keep the fit tight enough that no one could steal or mess with the water jugs. If they drill a hole in the can...they can have it at that point. These fit the scepter as well as the wavian fuel cans. The boxed section up top is tight enough that when the cans are in place the top and ports on the scepter can't be removed and the pin wont come out of the fuel cans. The plan is to run a cable lock though the can handle and the mount so the cans are locked in when needed.

View attachment 2270112

View attachment 2270113

View attachment 2270114

View attachment 2270115

View attachment 2270122
nicely done!!!!!!!!

@cruiserpilot

Howzit. Nice setup. If you want it thief-proof ask a Saffer.

I am not a fan of jerry cans for extra fuel, and even less of a fan for hanging stuff on the outside of a vehicle, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. I am planning a trip that will require 2 x jerry cans extra. I have 4 or 5 metal cans bought variously from co-ops and I think Adendorff or Midas. It is a struggle to get them to seal even to a point where the leaking is not so bad as long as they are kept upright on the back of the bakkie and away from everything else. It appears to me that the metal "hinge" parts on the lids are flimsy they cannot do what they are supposed to do. I have never been able to get the spout seated well enough to be able to use it at all.

Question is, am I doing something wrong (Is there some adjustment to make?) or are the cans I've got of such poor quality that they will not ever work properly? A long time ago but I cannot remember having leaking problems on the cans we used in the army in the 70s.

If it is a quality problem, do you know whether one can get surplus cans or decent quality cans elsewhere? As I recall the military water cans had a brass screw down cap on them, maybe that would be a solution if they're available surplus.

Wavian cans from the Land Rover place.I bougt a couple of these in 2013. I keep them full and ready to go. They were about $60 then. I carry them laid flat on a roof rack. No leaks ever. Still on the original gaskets. I like the dull green color rather than bright red. The Wavian cans are available from many stores; look for sales. I recommend this spout rather than the CARB compliant spout:
Jerry Can Spout - Semi Flexible Spout For European NATO Style Jerry Cans - https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC002/
Add a ≈20" long piece of fuel/vapor hose. You can feed a good length of the extension hose down the unleaded gas filler hole to prevent any splashing. Done right, not a single drip on the ground when dumping the whole 20L into the filler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom