Builds Scat's GX Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love this build! Have a couple questions if you don’t mind?

how are these tires holding up? I’m about to order a set and curious. Hopefully you still like them!

Speaking of these tires, you stated that you fully deflate the spare to get it up underneath....how did/do you deal with TPMS?

and lastly, the rear door table...did you order it from manufacturer in Australia? Or is there a stateside vendor?

thanks!!

The General's have been awesome, I'm on my second set at the moment. Definitely recommend a set.

The spare is fully deflated so I do have a constant TPMS light on the dash. Depending on what year GX's you have, I believe you can disconnect the TPMS system or fool it to not turn on any warning lights. It's never really bothered me as I always planned to eventually get a rear bumper.

I ordered the table directly from Kaon in Australia, can't recall shipping prices but it was somewhat pricey. Worth it though for a great table imo.

Cheers,

2005 GX470

View attachment 1993150

Suspension;

Toytec 2.5 Series 3" coilovers
Icon Overland 3" rear coils
Toytec Boss rear shocks
Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Metal Tech rear coil conversion
CVJ axles with high angle boots
Toytec's 1.5" bump stop extensions
Powerstop Z36 rotors and pads
Goodridge extended brake lines front and rear

Wheels & tires;
(5) 285/70 General Tire ATX with spare mounted in factory location
17" TRD Pro Wheels in Gunmetal

ARMOR:
ARB Prado 120 bullbar with foglights
CBI Sliders with flat plate top
CBI aluminum skid plates (front, mid, t-case)

MISC MODS:
ARB 2000 Awning
ARB CKMA12 air compressor
GOBI Stealth rack and ladder
Maggiolina Airlander+ Medium XL
Smitybuilt X20 10k winch with Factor 55 flatlink
Prado 120 black side molding
Kaon rear camp table
Depo sport headlights
WaterPort

Lighting & Electronics;
sPOD SE Circuit System with touchscreen
OZ-USA 9" LED Osram front lights
OZ-USA FR Series 4" oval lights
OZ-USA 40" multi colored rear light bar
OZ-USA LED rock lights
4300k HID headlights
Cobra 75wx cb radio
Firestik II 3 ft Antenna

Recent pictures;
18176152_10103588656141451_429228399_o_zpssw7xvgl1.jpg
17431359_10103482862048661_1871769887_o_zpskk8spwrp.jpg

4_zpsnqjerrtw.jpg

Bought the GX with 150k miles on it, the lady who owned it worked at a Toyota dealership and kept it really well maintained.

Stock picture the day I brought it home, immediately removed the running boards;

IMG_4796_zpsjnhknjgf.jpg

IMG_4797_zpskuymlke6.jpg

The goods;
IMG_4876_zpsuipbxlej.jpeg

IMG_4875_zpsie8skkqp.jpeg
Build looks great, came here after searching to see if 285/70s would fit fine on TRD Pro wheels. I saw you said you fit a full size spare in the factory location. How did you do that? Deflated?

Edit: Nevermind, shoulda read the comment right above me. One more question though, did you do a body mount chop to remedy the rubbing with 285’s? Might’ve missed that as well.

Build looks great, came here after searching to see if 285/70s would fit fine on TRD Pro wheels. I saw you said you fit a full size spare in the factory location. How did you do that? Deflated?

Edit: Nevermind, shoulda read the comment right above me. One more question though, did you do a body mount chop to remedy the rubbing with 285’s? Might’ve missed that as well.

No worries, I did the body mount chop back when I had Tundra wheels as the rubbing was pretty bad, seems like its not needed with the TRD's from what I can tell. Fully deflated is the only way the 285/70 will fit in the spare even with 5psi or so it still wont go. Hope this helps!

No worries, I did the body mount chop back when I had Tundra wheels as the rubbing was pretty bad, seems like its not needed with the TRD's from what I can tell. Fully deflated is the only way the 285/70 will fit in the spare even with 5psi or so it still wont go. Hope this helps!
Sweet thanks! Good to know. Have you had any issues at all with the wheels being 7” and not the 7.5”+ recommended spec for 285’s? From what I’ve gathered they are not an issue but I just wanted to make sure.

Sweet thanks! Good to know. Have you had any issues at all with the wheels being 7” and not the 7.5”+ recommended spec for 285’s? From what I’ve gathered they are not an issue but I just wanted to make sure.

Never been an issue for me when airing down, ideally 7.5" is the way to go but you'll be fine imo.

Cheers,

Never been an issue for me when airing down, ideally 7.5" is the way to go but you'll be fine imo.

Cheers,
Sweet glad to hear. Yeah I’d be down for the FN FX pros but honestly I can get OEM Trd pros for over $200 cheaper for a set so I may just get those. Thanks for the insight

Splash guards installed;

17269301_10103460795086031_626074509_o_zps1lmd6fnq.jpg

Also added grip tape to my rear ladder;

IMG_6500_zps4vansw6y.jpg

Last small mod was replacing the weak rear cargo door handle with a paracord handle (Khaki colored) from Bartact. Backed with a stainless steel plate, really happy with the results, much more stable than before.

FullSizeRender_zpss9d8s0t3.jpg

17155299_10103461080149761_6044390381917244655_n_zpsk0dgy5nq.jpg

17203167_10103461080159741_9046582094527741366_n_zpsjyocv8hq.jpg
I know this is super old but I have a question about the paracord handle. How did you secure it once the panel was put back on? Did you just somehow secure the steel backing plate in place, and then just screw bolts into the backing plate once the door panel was put back on? Broke one of my crappy stock handle clips and am debating replacing it with one of these.

I know this is super old but I have a question about the paracord handle. How did you secure it once the panel was put back on? Did you just somehow secure the steel backing plate in place, and then just screw bolts into the backing plate once the door panel was put back on? Broke one of my crappy stock handle clips and am debating replacing it with one of these.

I pulled the door panel and bolted on the backing plate with the paracord so its all just one piece at the end, will make sense once you remove the panel. No issues since its been installed

I pulled the door panel and bolted on the backing plate with the paracord so its all just one piece at the end, will make sense once you remove the panel. No issues since its been installed
Ah, so the backing plate is just behind the plastic panel only, and not actually behind the metal on the actual door?

Awesome, so the plastic panel doesn’t flex outwards too much at all or feel like the retaining clips will pop out? I may just go that route as it seems a bit easier, and also removing the door panel would be quicker.

Not much flex and definitely makes it easier to remove the door panel when needed.

Rad build! Just wondering where you sourced the front bumper from. I can't seem to find a dealer that offers the Prado 120 ARB.

Couple small things Ive recently done;

More trimming and grinding;
IMG_5051_zpsgjtcw4kl.jpg

Couple small things Ive recently done;

More trimming and grinding;
IMG_5051_zpsgjtcw4kl.jpg

Replaced air controls with the land cruiser insert;
IMG_5053_zpswatdtfwk.jpg

Replaced interior lights with led's;
IMG_4975_zps89jgcsdo.jpg

Replaced air controls with the land cruiser insert;
IMG_5053_zpswatdtfwk.jpg

Replaced interior lights with led's;
IMG_4975_zps89jgcsdo.jpg
Scat Adams. This is old but do you have a link for the air control replacement tray, went looking w no success, thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom