Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What ya do is drill out the stud holes and then insert the bolts from the inside of the diff, tack weld in place knowing you may have to massage the bolts a little when reinstalling the diff.
291468d1173127999-diff-studs-rear-20axle-20020-20-28small-29.jpg

291469d1173127999-diff-studs-rear-20axle-20053-20-28small-29.jpg
I forgot to ask something a while back: Did you take into consideration that you now cannot have a spare drop-in diff unless you predrill it to fit the new studs? In other words, if you ever needed to borrow a spare diff from someone else at an event, you couldn't.

Yeah I have considered and have a spare diff, unfortunately it's 4.10 and needs to be re-geared. That said, I usually have a small workshop in the Dodge complete with drill and bits.

That said, I usually have a small workshop in the Dodge complete with drill and bits.
But no antifreeze..............:)

TLCA #13178 Appalachia Cruisers, STLCA

The Official Roast of Ted 2014 :flipoff2:

You should paint the radiator in your Dodge PINK to help you remember to put coolant in it...

been slow on the Ga board lately so just to keep things movin along. One of my favorite pics, stair steps GSMTR 2014 - per John.

DSC03841_zpsb7405edc.jpg~original cropped.jpg

Cool shot! Its hard to show just how steep those ledges are.

I'd venture to say that shot is even more impressive than the one he took of me that made it into Toyota Trails. Definitely a great picture.

That is a pretty slick video. I might have to try that little deal.

That is a pretty slick video. I might have to try that little deal.
Yup. This trick is making me think about abandoning my ideas of adding to my collection of Coleman-fuel powered pieces and start buying the LP stuff.

back to the mods.

So after dunking my truck in a creek bottom at GSMTR this year relocating the intake moved up the priority list a few notches.

swamped 2.jpg

Fortunately, I was really lucky and didn't blow up my motor so I started seeking options to prevent water from getting in again. John's advise was to "stay out of deep water and you don't have that problem" but that seemed too simple and given some of the places we wheel I just wasn't sure I could oblige.

I'm not much for having a coat hanger shaped snorkel on the side of my rig so that wasn't really an option. Instead, I've seen a lot of guys re-routing intakes on 22Rs inside the engine bay but I have the V6 and things are a little tighter and finding info wasn't as available. That said, a lot of the ideas I saw were still very sound so i took a little from here and there to formulate my own version.

Ran up to Home depot and picked up some 2" PVC and few assorted elbows, I think the total investment is around $12 with a tube of silicon.

Edit for better explanation:
There are a few modifications needed to make things a little more accessible. 1st the stock intake is right behind the drivers headlight so the existing hole needs to be plugged and replaced. Using a 3" hole saw I cut a new hole in allowing for direct access through the driver's fender.

20140810_132311.jpg

Then you need to drill 3 more 3" holes. the 1st in the fender wall directly adjacent the new air box hole, the 2nd about 12" closer to the cab to allow access back into the engine bay and the 3rd to access the cowling under the windshield with the new intake pipe.

20140809_180215.jpg

20140809_181714.jpg

The air box outlet adjoins a 90* elbow on the outer wall of the fender, connects to a ~10" PVC pipe where I then used a 45* elbow which got me pointed in the general direction of the cowling. Then another ~18" piece of PVC that as you can see in the pic I had to heat and bend to reach the approximate spot i wanted to enter the cowling.

20140809_180245.jpg

Last edited:
At least it was a productive day. Not sure what they got around AOP today, but it looked like they got a real turd herder last evening and overnight, so probably a good call.

Where you going with the intake once inside? You keeping and sealing up the factory box or is it gonna be a pass thru and the filter going inside?

I'll get a couple more pics up but going into the factory air box. I had to drill a new 3" hole so it would exit the engine bay directly behind the driver's fender. I'll end up having to seal the old intake hole, don't know how yet.

looks good ted, what is the max water fording capabilities now?

looks good ted, what is the max water fording capabilities now?

sitting in still swimming pool it went from 40" to the bottom of the intake to now right at 52" +/- to the bottom of the intake so about 12" which is pretty darn good if you ask me. Hell, I'd be swimming the cab if'n I ever get that deep so I'm hoping I'm done with this issue forever.

The hardest part was tying it into the factory air box. In the end I used the factory inlet tube (flipped around0 and RTV'd the crap out of it in the new 3" hole i cut. I also found a 34¢ plug for the old intake hole, a 3" Knockout Test cap found at HD in the plumbing isle, fit perfectly!!
20140810_132326.jpg

So working from the new 3" hole in the air box out it goes like this: Factory inlet tube> 2" rubber coupler> 2" PVC pipe > under cowl, if that all makes sense. All hose clamped and siliconed together to enclose the entire intake.

20140811_172423.jpg

20140810_132332.jpg

sits a little lower than i expected but barely noticeable.

20140811_172028.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom