Sandbags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just completed and won the Baja 1000 which I owe a good portion of our success to sandbags. We were stuck in some pretty nasty silt beds when I saw a sandbag on the ground. It just clicked. I filled it up then placed it under the rear tire that we had jacked up. It worked as good as a rock. Needless to say I emptied it and took it with us. We used it a few more times in the multiple silt beds.

Has anyone else used sandbages before? Just thought I would share my silt bed experience. I now will be adding a few sandbags in my FJ40 when I go wheeling.

sand bags are great for winter as well about 4 in the back o' my 45 is just right ;)

[quote author=Bobsbash link=board=14;threadid=7988;start=msg67414#msg67414 date=1069711504]
I just completed and won the Baja 1000
[/quote]

DAMN thats awsome :cheers: give us some info :beer:

Cool idea, and I too would love to hear more about your experiences. I would have thought that you would also carry (and it would be more effective) sand ladders?!

Cheers, Hugh

Another idea that works very well -

You know those plastic milk crates that you see behind grocery and convenience stores... take a sawzall and cut out the grated part on a few of the crates (red hilighted part of attached image). These provide excellent traction. They can be losely tied to each other to make a longer traction ramp and then zimply z-folded up when done and stored easily.

Hope that description makes sense.

crate.gif

All great ideas. I have not heard of a sand ladder. You have a pic of one? We don't have much room at all on the race truck, that's why the sand bag worked out great.

The race we just won this weekend was the Baja 1000. That also gave us the points championship for the SCORE offroad series this year in the 7s class.The actual race miles this year was 808. It fluctuates a little year to year. It also started and ended in Ensenada. Every 3 years or so it goes from the top of Baja to the south tip.Thats what it did last year and we also won that race in our class. The class we race is 7s(stock mini truck). Our truck is a Toyota Tacoma but don't let the word stock full you, it is anything but that. I actually pit and chase for Bob Graham, who owns the truck. This year as a thanks for all my work over the past couple years he put me in the truck as a co-pilot. Duties include calling out the course to him rally car style using the gps, monitoring all the gauges, controling all the switches and for this race having to hold down first gear on the automatic shifter since it broke early in the race and needed to be held in order to be engaged. I was in the truck for a total of 17 hours and 440 miles. We then did a well needed driver and co-pilot change where the fresh driver and co-pilot took another 10 hours to finish the race. It was a rough course and according to Bob , the driver, it was one of the roughest courses he has seen in over 15 years.

A great experience overall and if you have any other questions about racing feel free to email me or post them. Thanks again, Bob

on one of those links they show some "waffle boards" that look pretty cool too. Expensive and 19lbs each, but cool.

I'm wondering if one could reinforce the plastic crate sides enough to make them work like the waffles.... maybe some fiberglass or something similar...

just a thought

Grain Bags

I get them from farmers and always keep a couple in my survey trucks.

They take up no space and are super usefull to prop stuff up or hold it down.
I picked up the idea from some DOT guys and had never heard of anyone else doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom