Saginaw pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? I picked up a pump yesterday and now have to swap the pulley from an old one I have sitting around. I can't figure out how to get the pulley off. There is no nut on the end of the shaft, it looks like there is an allen fitting on the inside of the shaft. Is it just pressed on? Help!!!

I bought a power steering pump pulley puller set. It's very easy to use, has the right adapters for the different kinds and was easy to find. I bought it at my local Carquest for $30ish IIRC.
I need to pull my pulley to remove the pump with my serp belt set up and it was invaluable for pulling and reinstalling with the pump in the vehicle.

Also, if your pump has the original pulley, it may be a bear to get off. A universal puller may work fine, but it may also bend or break the pulley. A puller with jaws designed for power steering pumps is probably a good investment!

I too ran into the same problem. I bought a "Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller" from Harbor Freight and solved all my problems. I tried the three jaw puller thingy and all it did was bend the snot out of the pulley. After I bought the correct one, I spent a whopping 2 minutes to remove the orginal stuck on pulley from my pump. The pulley puller comes with distructions on removing and installing pulleys on GM, Ford and imports.

Randy

Probably wouldn't hurt if you put some red lock tight on the shaft. Although it is a bugger to get off if you need to. I had a few problems with the pulley falling off though. Kinda sucked going down the highway and I see my power steering pulley flying out beside me.

walk into any autoparts store with the pump and they have a puller there you can use free - takes all of 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom