rusty cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
due to extreme humidity, in the time that i have had the head off to get shaved etc, the bores/ cylinders/ combustion chamber (which should i call it? ::) ) have noticible minor surface rust, now i can wipe it off with a fingertip (so it's not set in) what's the best way of cleaning it off. clean soft rag???

If you can remove it with your finger, do not sweat it. Wip it off with a rag, and if anything is still there, lightly use a green scotchbrite pad, scuff it clean, and then wipe the bore clean. I would then coat the cylinders and the top of the block with LPS 3, and cover with towel or light shop blanket.

Good luck!

-Steve

Scotchbrite works awesome or any similar product available in your area, you are not going to do any damage by hand, these can be had in the household cleaning stuff or at a paint store. They also make ones that go on an angle grinder or die grinder in different grits. If its gonna sit for a while lather it up with some heavy grease.

I would wd40 with a scotchbright pad just prior to install.

use tranny oil and pad, its what i learned in auto cirtifaction class, i dont know why though

[quote author=tres link=board=1;threadid=9114;start=msg79358#msg79358 date=1072155456]
use tranny oil and pad, its what i learned in auto cirtifaction class, i dont know why though
[/quote]

I have heard the same thing about the tranny fluid after cleaning a block fresh from the machine shop. But I dont know why either... ANYONE :-\

Drew <><

Funny you would say ATF. Makes a lot of sense. it has detergent in it so it should help clean it out. I run ATF in place of oil to clean out motors that are very gunked up. Usually I will run 4-6 series of ATF fillings changing the filter (a cheap one) each time. I run it up to temp then let it idle for a while; around .5 hours then drain and replace. It cleans the crap out of the valve train and seems to help the oil pressure overall.

thanks. i was hoping it was that simple. reconstruction starts tomorrow (fingers crossed)

"Funny you would say ATF. Makes a lot of sense. it has detergent in it so it should help clean it out. I run ATF in place of oil to clean out motors that are very gunked up. Usually I will run 4-6 series of ATF fillings changing the filter (a cheap one) each time. I run it up to temp then let it idle for a while; around .5 hours then drain and replace. It cleans the crap out of the valve train and seems to help the oil pressure overall."

....and don't forget the Marvel Mystery Oil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom