Rust proofing inside chassy rail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I have a bj70 and i have sanded and painted the outside of the frame but the inside whilst solid has surface rust with no visible factory black paint.

Whats the best way to get in there and paint or treat it?

What products and methods are recomended?

Thanks

There are a couple of tools and products out there. Call around some autobody / auto paint supply stores. I re-painted a Mustang a few years back, and my friend painted inside the cowling and door panels with a product that has wax like substance in it, and the paint nozzle has a flex hose like fix a flat can that gets inside all the nooks and crannies. Sorry I don't have the exact name of the product, but again the supply shops should know of it.

Like wax oil sorta product. But first getting All the old dry rust and cement like dust deposits out. On my kids bj70 when doing rust repairs I used my shop vac with a piece of heater hose to suck the pounds of crap out. Had to use a stiff wire to poke inside and rake it towards a frame hole. Took ages! Blasted the cross frame tubes out with water then ran a brush on a string back and forth(2people)washed them again let them totally dry then aerosol sprayed and swabbed them.

image.jpg

I have a cavity wax gun that i used to fill in the roof of my bj70 so hopefuly it dosnt rust.

I was thinking about using cavity wax in the chassis but thought i would get more opinions but seems that it what most people use so i will go ahead with that.

I realy like the vacuum on a radiator hose my rails were filled with mud which i pressure washed out from all the holes and poking at it but il give the vacuum a try to get what ever is left.

Before i apply cavity wax should any surface rust be treated or just spray over it?

If it needs treating whats the best method?

Thanks

I'm wondering same thing. Frame rot has been the death of many cruisers. Any body guys got a thought?

I've seen a specialized nozzle with a long extension on some of the aerosol spray materials that allow for insertion into chassis holes and then you move that extension nozzle around inside the frame rail. Eastwood perhaps? I'll try to find it. I sort of want to do that myself too.

Found it!

Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom