Rust on used vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! New member here and realizing how tough it is to find one of these. I think I found one for a good price but I asked for pictures and they concern me. In the interest of not hijacking anyone's thread can anyone see these pics below to comment. I know the front skid is rusted out but that will be replaced anyway as I plan to wheel it. Can you look and comment? Thank you!

Also, does anyone know is it expensive to fix frame damage? Thanks!

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

Hi! New member here and realizing how tough it is to find one of these. I think I found one for a good price but I asked for pictures and they concern me. In the interest of not hijacking anyone's thread can anyone see these pics below to comment. I know the front skid is rusted out but that will be replaced anyway as I plan to wheel it. Can you look and comment? Thank you!

Also, does anyone know is it expensive to fix frame damage? Thanks!

View attachment 2566646

View attachment 2566647

View attachment 2566648

View attachment 2566650

View attachment 2566654

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

None of that looks particularly horrific IMO... No rust holes in the frame that I can see, would be cool to have a shot of the lower rad support, they always seem to go there.
Rust on the axles/frame surface rust can be wire brushed/converted/Fluid film'd for many years of service. Depending on how sweet the price is I'd grab it.

A post in my build thread of what a treated axle/etc can look like for your viewing pleasure:

That looks pretty similar to my '07 GX470 (which spent most of it's life here in Missouri). I agree that if there are no holes, it's not a big deal. My spring project will be to put the GX up on jackstands, thorughouly pressure wash the entire underside, wire-wheel the rust, paint, and then apply a coat of Fluid Film black.

You can always use it as a bargaining chip and get the price down. However I would NOT buy it sight unseen with rust like that - you definitely need to inspect for holes as rust always seems to be worse in person than in pictures.

I've seen worst. It's mostly surface rust from what I can see in your photos. Check rear cross member behind rear bumper and body mounts. The under body behind the rear alex is the area that sems to be most affected. Over here 120s only have rust protection outside the chassis rails and just paint on the under body inside the rails.
Had my 120 shot blasted and a two coat epoxy resin paint applied,
not cheap but they salt the roads here when it snows.
Best of luck with your truck.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ll have them take more pics of the rear but it doesn’t sound too bad. And thank you for the link with instructions for cleanup. Thank you!

Is grinding the rust off then coating preferred? What about something like rust converter then painting? Same result/ different approach? Easier for me to spray rust converter than grind in the driveway. Can always rent lift time if grinding is better.

Is grinding the rust off then coating preferred? What about something like rust converter then painting? Same result/ different approach? Easier for me to spray rust converter than grind in the driveway. Can always rent lift time if grinding is better.
I went with the instructions for Corroseal(the product I used) which is essentially:
- remove loose rust with wire brushes/sanding discs/grinder
- clean surface
- apply product
- paint/etc
Amazon product ASIN B001CRFYG0

I went with the instructions for Corroseal(the product I used) which is essentially:
- remove loose rust with wire brushes/sanding discs/grinder
- clean surface
- apply product
- paint/etc
Amazon product ASIN B001CRFYG0
Your Corroseal pictures looks great, I'll use that now for sure.

Did you apply a paint or other topcoat? I'm debating on to just Corroseal and apply Fluid Film Black or if I should paint and then apply the Fluid Film.

I went with Corroseal and then plain fluidfilm(after a few summer months of letting the Corroseal dry/cure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom