Rust Converters? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I have some rust on the roof of my 60.
I'm worried about losing steel thickness if I just sand it down to bare metal and prime it like we're supposed to.
The rust is pretty lite, no cancer, only one spot is flaky, the rest is pretty lite.

I'm wondering if any of the rust converters actually convert the rust to something else, that's stable to prime over.

The "Rust Converters" I tried on my mini truck were just black primer and literally didn't convert anything. It just peeled off and the rust was there underneath.

For rust prevention, I know folks say a lot of good things about POR15, and for the frame and the like, I'm all over that.

For non roof body panels, I'm good with replacing or cutting out and patching it, but On the roof I'd like to stop it in its tracks.

Before I Grab some scotch brite wheels and start removing material to prime, it, I wanted to check with y'all and see if there was another option.

Also while I have you here, what's the best primer in a rattle can?

Thanks,

Eric-

ill be moitoring this as mine needs attention as well

@TRAIL TAILOR @kelly saad @NCFJ - expert sources of knowledge on this topic.

General:

Rust Bullet

Jenolite

Corroseal:

Eastwood:

I do a fair amount of restoration type work and I've used a lot of Corroseal over the years with good results. I prefer the milky white type of rust converters. Permatex rust treatment is pretty good and you can buy it at Napa.

Not a fan of POR 15, it does work but only in the right situations. I do like dupli color rust barrier, although it's not cheap, but it can be sprayed over both rust and clean bare metal. Here's a Tacoma I'm working on for my wife, it had a new frame but had some other rust issues I had to fix. The frame is coated with the Rust Barrier, so is all the suspension but that got a top coat of gloss black. I use a 2 part tractor and implement paint from Tractor Supply for that.

IMG_20230203_124434.jpg
IMG_20230203_124731.jpg
IMG_20230118_155533.jpg
IMG_20230118_155427.jpg

Post pics of the problem area.
There are pics of the roof, I was discussing and the fenders I intend to tackle next.

The fender I'm going to grind out what I can and am expecting to have to weld in patch panels.

The roof I'm hoping to convert then prime and repaint with either a color match or paint the whole top of the roof white.

PXL_20230203_180545913.jpg

PXL_20230203_180550689.jpg

PXL_20230203_180559808.jpg

PXL_20230203_180632650.jpg

PXL_20230203_180644178.jpg

There are pics of the roof, I was discussing and the fenders I intend to tackle next.

The fender I'm going to grind out what I can and am expecting to have to weld in patch panels.

The roof I'm hoping to convert then prime and repaint with either a color match or paint the whole top of the roof white.

View attachment 3237954

View attachment 3237955

View attachment 3237956

View attachment 3237957

View attachment 3237958
If it were me, I would go easy on the roof with abrasives. Maybe try an undraided wire wheel or steel brush first. If something more agressive is needed, creep up on it with the sand paper grits. That rust doesn't look too deep on the roof. That way you dont grind off the high points of the ribs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom