Runs rough cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1988 Toyota pickup 2wd that runs rough and wants to stall when I first start it . After the temp gauge comes up a bit it idles down and runs perfect. It also blows black smoke and occasionally backfires when cold. I had a mechanic check it and he changed the choke pull off but it did not help. He said I need a carburetor . Anyone have any other thoughts or should I just buy a carburetor and have him install it ? He won't get the carburetor because he said too many of them do not work and he does not want to have to go through 2 or 3 to get one that works . Not sure if he is screwing me around . Thanks.

Find a boneyard AISIN (OEM) carb and have it rebuilt. Then do the swap.

Sounds like a mechanic thats been through the problematic issues of after market carbs. X2 what Pappy said.
If yours is oem you can take it to a place that rebuilds carbs.

Sounds like a mechanic thats been through the problematic issues of after market carbs. X2 what Pappy said.
If yours is oem you can take it to a place that rebuilds carbs.
Yes mine is the original carb. Problem is nobody around here rebuilds them. There was a place that recently closed up shop. I will ask the guys I work with if they have a connection with someone to rebuild it. Thanks.

Grab a quality carb rebuild kit and give it a shot. It is not as intimidating as you may think. The more you know about the carb and engine the better you can make it run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom