Running wires down windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this has been beaten like a dead horse, but I have searched around and didn't find what I was looking for. PO installed some flood lights onto the drivers side of the roof rack, and the wiring runs down the drivers side of the windshield and into a switch box mounted in the passenger side of the engine bay where the AHC stuff used to be. I have a light bar and I would like to run the wiring down the passenger side. PO has the wiring secured as pictured below. In examining it, I can't tell if it's just some 3M tape or something else, as it seems to hold its shape when I lift it off. It's sticky on one side, so I think it might just be as simple as that. Is there some sort of product that is used to wedge wiring into that gap? Some sort of press fit bent tab seems like it would work well. What's your favorite way of holding wiring in place in this location?

IMG_3884.jpg

KC Hilites has a universal wire hider that consists of a rubber channel that adheres to one side of your windshield. I haven’t purchased it but is the cleanest look I’ve seen and only runs $20... Universal Wire Hider - https://www.kchilites.com/universal-wire-hider-kc-6300.html
That does look nice, I think I may have seen that at some point. I wonder if it would fit in that groove between our windshield and the plastic trim. It looks too big in the photos. It's such a nice space to hide wires, just need something slick to hold them in there.

An alternative (though I like @blackohio's much better) is that plastic split loom at every auto parts store. The right size (1/2" I think?) tucks under the factory trim. You won't win any aesthetic awards though.

I'm removing it shortly, but only because I never use the LED bar up there. Been there for probably 40k miles, never moved.

IMG_1463.jpeg

I think I might try some vacuum line that's 3/8-1/2" diameter to see if it will jam into that space and stay put. Then I could cut a slit in it, slip over the wiring, and tuck it in.

I wonder if there are any negative consequences to having water trapped in that area. Not that it ever rains here, nor do I almost ever wash my cars, but just thinking. Thoughts on that?

I like it, looks nice. But I’m hoping to keep the wires tucked in the gap between windshield and moulding, and it doesn’t look like that product would fit in that space.
Thanks for sharing the pics!

having run wires under the cover and this i prefer this as it is almost unnoticeable to 99% of people and i can easily add additional wires without having to redo everything.

if you want your loom to stick. use a heavy butyl outer and run strips of heliobond on the backside. peel and press in and good luck removing it ever.

I used some braded sleeving and these cable clips. You can't see it from inside the vehicle, and I really don't notice it from outside. The adhesive on the clips does seem to be genuine 3m VHB.

I do live in SoCal, so water and snow aren't something I need to worry about very often. I do have a drip loop in the engine compartment, so that when water does follow down the sleeving, it won't go back to my relay box.

Right now I only have a single 14 gauge wire going up to the rack for camp lights. Plenty of room to add a 2nd though.

**please forgive the dirty windshield.

20210420_185509.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom