Running Hot (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is not a good idea unless you double up on the air to oil cooler in front of the radiator and I’m not sure this would be as good at cooling hot trans fluid quickly as the coolant to oil cooler in the radiator.

As stated before, a real time temp gauge in the coolant outlet pipe and one in the transmission oil pan is necessary to see what’s really happening.

Hot trans oil will certainly add to the heat load of the radiator increasing coolant temp. This should be a concern only when the torque converter is unlocked and shearing fluid in warmer weather under the increased demand of towing and/or long ascents where converter lock up can not be maintained.
...or if the torque converter isn't locking properly? Just wondering if a transmission problem isn't masquerading as an engine cooling problem.

Any updates? I’ve been troubleshooting this exact issue for years now. I’ve replaced my entire cooling system. I’m supercharged with a land tank orange hub fan clutch so I know that’s an additional issue. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is an overdrive water pump pulley (currently none available).

When I turn off my A/C I’m fine. Otherwise I’ll creep into overheating over the corse of 45 or so minutes while stationary. I know the A/C compressor is a high draw system. Lots of guys talk about turning off A/C when wheeling in high heat. Would a faulty A/C cause more resistance?

Whoever mentioned a transmission problem got me thinking as well. I shifted through the gears occasionally while idling and could cut that 45 minute overheat into 20ish minutes.

We aren’t breaking any new ground here. Joey had a forever thread on overheating forever ago. I think his stopped overheating when he got a pre-cat hole in his exhaust fixed. I’ve already canceled out that issue so I’m mostly out of ideas.

get an aftermarket transmission temp gauge so you can monitor your tranny temp. AC on and overheat points me to your radiator not being able to handle the additional heat produced from the AC.

Any updates? I’ve been troubleshooting this exact issue for years now. I’ve replaced my entire cooling system. I’m supercharged with a land tank orange hub fan clutch so I know that’s an additional issue. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is an overdrive water pump pulley (currently none available).

When I turn off my A/C I’m fine. Otherwise I’ll creep into overheating over the corse of 45 or so minutes while stationary. I know the A/C compressor is a high draw system. Lots of guys talk about turning off A/C when wheeling in high heat. Would a faulty A/C cause more resistance?

Whoever mentioned a transmission problem got me thinking as well. I shifted through the gears occasionally while idling and could cut that 45 minute overheat into 20ish minutes.

We aren’t breaking any new ground here. Joey had a forever thread on overheating forever ago. I think his stopped overheating when he got a pre-cat hole in his exhaust fixed. I’ve already canceled out that issue so I’m mostly out of ideas.
I have located a small leak at the exhaust manifold but won't have time to fix it before my trip.

I have done two cooling-related items this week, will see how it works out:

1. Removed new radiator and added foam between radiator and body. Also added foam between core and sode supports, and foam between fan shroud and radiator. It's vacuum tight now at all interfaces.

2. Re-did the thermal timer on the fan clutch, set it back to stock (~125*F open) as opposed to landtank's recommended 95*. Theory on this is fan clutch would never turn off on hot ambient days, heating the fluid and reducing the viscous force.

Unfortunately after taking my radiator out a second time, I damaged the discharge hose and created a leak in my AC system. So I'm getting the hose repaired tomorrow... car drives fine but obviously no clue how it does until I get AC going again

Is anyone else's exhaust gas really hot? Like when you put your hand next to the tailpipe and feel the exhaust gas.

I feel like the exhaust gas on all my other vehicles is just warm, not hot

I started towards Wyoming a couple days ago so whatever the issue, I'm in it for a few thousand miles

Last edited:
Is anyone else's exhaust gas really hot? Like when you put your hand next to the tailpipe and feel the exhaust gas.

I feel like the exhaust gas on all my other vehicles is just warm, not hot

I started towards Wyoming a couple days ago so whatever the issue, I'm in it for a few thousand miles
Yes, my exhaust is hot enough to melt a wheel on a power wheelchair, when it was 12" away on a hitch rack, driving for one hour.

Got back from Wyoming, no issues. When the temp started to creep on hot days in the sun with AC on, I used the condenser fan and hand throttle.

I did notice however that the temp is near red after I shut the car off and turn it back on 5ish minutes later. I know temp gauges will read hotter because the cylinders heat soak the coolant when the engine shuts off, but does anyone's Reventai modded gauge ever read at the bottom of red after shutting off and letting sit for 5 min?

Next steps for me are exhaust manifold gaskets, maybe coating the manifolds, and probably wrapping the downpipes.
Also sending out injectors to be cleaned, and cleaning out the oil cooler (maybe there's a bunch of junk there blocking flow?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom